Stuck Between Two Laptops...

UnoriginallyChris

Solid State Member
Hi! So I'm stuck between purchasing one of these two laptops and was hoping someone could point out a general direction I could take with this. I don't recall all the specs on both the laptops, but they were super close to each other besides these few things:

Laptop #1:
~$1050(After I did some math in my head with taxes and such)
-750gb hardrive
-i7 2.4 GHz
- HAS a disk drive

Laptop #2:
~$1160
- 1tb hardrive
- Backlit keyboard
-i5 2.6 Ghz
- DOESN'T have a disk drive

^ The cost of this above laptop includes buying a portable disk drive, since I'd need one. Also, both laptops are of the HP brand, if that matters.

I don't know too much about laptops, but assuming the rest of the specs balance out, what would you go with?

Thanks for the help!

it will be easier for us to judge if you linked us to the laptops

I was buying in-store, but I managed to find them both. It's not letting me post URLs since I have to low of a post count, so just replace the obvious stuff with a ".":

Laptop #1: http://h20386.www2.hp(REPLACE THIS WITH A DOT)com/CanadaStore/Product.aspx?pdetail=P263649
Laptop #2: http://www.bestbuy(REPLACE THIS WITH A DOT)ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-envy-15-6-laptop-silver-intel-core-i5-3230m-1tb-hdd-8gb-ram-windows-8-15-j058ca/10255967.aspx?path=84023d299dc98cdd0e7ecfc5dcb804aben02

Personally i'll get Laptop 2.

Pros:
  • it looks better (my opinion)
  • it's a little thinner.
  • It has a better GPU
  • It has a bigger HDD.
  • It has a Backlit keyboard

Cons:
  • It does have a slightly slower CPU, but than again in real world performance "hyperthreding" doesn't give much difference if you don't count heavy CPU tasks as rendering and compressing. (hyperthreding is what makes the difference between I5 and I7)
  • It doesn't have an "optical drive" BUT DVD's and CD's are pretty much dead anyway. i'll rather not have it if it results in a thinner laptop (which it usually does)

Here are the links in case others want to give their opinion:
Laptop 1: HP ENVY dv6-7250ca Notebook PC-Canada - English localization - HP Shopping.CA
Laptop 2: HP ENVY 15.6" Laptop - Silver (Intel Core i5-3230M / 1TB HDD / 8GB RAM / Windows 8) : 15" Laptops - Best Buy Canada

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom