Strange puter issue...

Rmp5s

In Runtime
I can't copy stuff from drive to drive...

I can copy a file or 2 (10-20 megs, just say...) just fine.

But as soon as I try to copy a file that's a little on the large side (100+ megs or so), it will copy some of it, then stop. For instance, when trying to copy a folder (120 megs) of songs to a buddy's drive, it will make it through a couple songs and then stop...every time.

No matter what I do, I can't copy stuff and I don't know why.

I've even tried DriveImage XML to image the whole disk and it still won't work.

Yet the files are perfectly usable. Is it a caching issue or something?

I need a way to copy/backup the contents (even piece of it if nothing else...) of my external drive.

Using:

WD Essential (I think) 300GB USB drive - 99% full
HP Mini 1020NR computer running Windows 7 Ultimate, 1 GB RAM, 16GB HDD with ~35% free
Various other USB HDDs, thumb drives, SD cards, etc as "copy to" media.

Anyone have any ideas?

Nope...drive is good to go from all I can tell. Everything works on it just fine...this issue persists regardless of what I'm copying to or from. Big(ish) files just will NOT go...

Might want to consider booting to a live cd or such, maybe BartPE and see if you could copy your files that way

I did install that update and try again as I didn't have it before you mentioned it and it still didn't work.

I would do a live cd but it's a netbook and I don't have a cd drive! lol

Dang. Do you have a spare thumb drive you wouldn't mind erasing/formatting, as there are some portable linux distros which which you can boot directly from usb drives.

Not sure if this is related but I had a flash drive that wouldn't let me write more than 10-15mbs at a time to it but would let me read and copy from the drive as much as I want.. Kingston took me through some troubleshooting steps and eventually just told me to send it in for repair.

Back
Top Bottom