Strange PC Temps

Twist86

Baseband Member
Running temps based off my sisters PC a 2.4gh 4000+ FX AMD Athlon in the BIOS I just installed it and was letting it run for a hour to see the temp levels and for some reason it shows 53c/127f my question is how is that correct?
If it was really 53c then its should show 53c/85f.

I never had BIOS give me a wrong temp before so just curious if any of it is even correct.
I am going based off finger feel atm doesn't seem to be heating up my sink so I know its fine but I am more so curious on why the numbers are off.

Anyone has any info on it would be great thanks :)

Yeah I realized that after I had posted...I blame lack of sleep but had a brain fart.

My apologies :)

Well perhaps you could help me with something. I recently got the Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4ghz processor as a small upgrade for my sisters PC her old 2.0 chip died.

Her system is
Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4ghz single core
256mb PCI-e EVGA 7600GT
430 wat PSU
4gb PC3200 memory
Vista Home

Stock fan from the 3500+ its a 90nm heatsink/fan and since the 4000+ is also 90nm it should work fine.
The problem is at boot up it is at 50c and will slowly go above 55c idle via BIOS.
I can't a XP program to view cpu temps via game but I would imagine it would get to the point the PC would shut down.
Fan speeds are set at 50c-55c with a 5c tolerance. I am thinking the stock just wont work.
Have any good suggestions for a fan?

I was taking a look at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835128012

how ever the only 2 using a athlon 4000+ via reviews say 36c idle but nothing about gaming loads.

Is there perhaps a better option for a fan?

I'm not too up to date with AMD gear but I presume you have reapplied thermal paste when you mounted the cooler and have checked that it is securely seated.

That cooler would have to be better than a stock cooler, most aftermarket coolers will fit both AMD and Intel but check the specs of each one you look at just to be sure.

A quick search revealed these, there will be many more I'd say.

Artic Cooling Freezer Pro
Deepcool AM2J02 AMD Athlon 64 CPU Cooler
Zalman 7000Cu

Check the compatibility of these too

Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme
Tuniq Tower 120
Zalman 9700NT

of course I used AS5 with all new items...I love the stuff applied the usual fashion of a blob then set the heat sink on top to spread it then take a playing card to "even" it out and make sure the entire chip has a lair on it.

I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118115

Though I find it highly amusing I will spend almost as much for a cooling unit then I did for the processor. She better never complain is all I gotta say :)

Time to see if I can remove the back plate of this damn mobo....nothing makes me happier then to buy a item then find a problem with it that takes me days to figure out a solution for.

I would recommend the Freezer 7 PRO or the OCZ Vendetta over the Zalman 7700 any day.

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro is a Intel chip only cooler ...I'm using a AMD Athlon 64 4000+

Though I do like the fact you can use the standard mount on your motherboard w/o having to rip it all up to replace with the http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16835202005

My only thought would be...A sucker is HUGE and B with the heat this chip pumps out on a current 92nm sink/fan wouldn't it be wiser to get a 120nm fan?

Back
Top Bottom