Steam Issues

Starr

Daemon Poster
Hello as most of you know I got the computer in my sig yesterday. Well anyway I installed Steam and HL2 and CS:S. When I play them though after a whille I was getting the "Memory cannot be read" error. Well that happened like twice but then the game would crash to desktop. It did that a couple of times and now it just freezes entirely with no response and I have to shut off the computer.

I updated the Bios, mobo, sound, and video drivers.

Someone on the steam forums suggested overheating. Does anyone know any good free, or trial programs that I can use to test that this is the cause. Anyone else have any suggestions?

I also played BF1942 and the BF2 demo with no problems.

I got some Cool and Quiet thing that came with the mobo and it says now that my CPU temp is 40 C and the sys temp is 40 C.

Star it sounds more like a memory failure to me. I would try to swap the memory sticks around and see what happens then. Use 1 stick instead of 2.. that sort of thing and see if you can isolate the problem.

lurkswithin said:
Star it sounds more like a memory failure to me. I would try to swap the memory sticks around and see what happens then. Use 1 stick instead of 2.. that sort of thing and see if you can isolate the problem.

Man, I really don't feel like going through that. It is sooo stupid. I can play the Battlefield 2 Demo fine but I can't play Half-life 2. The last thing I want is to have to send the computer back and wait another 3 weeks to get it back............

Hey Wombat, thanks for that link!

use to get the same error. Apparently it gives this error for lots of reasons. Theirs a long thread about it on the steam forums, what fixed it for me was a new graphics card, i guess it was the memory on my video card. I heard somewhere else that overclocking may cause this problem, I don't know why, but if you are you might try that.

Hmm ...
Memory can not be read
Maybe its just overheating or something or that the CPU is 100% ...
Dunno

lavalys often doesn't give accurate readings try speedfan instead it's good and it will control the fans for you. Very nice. i have heard nothing but bad reports about the cool and quiet technology just shut it off. I'm pretty sure darkblade will come in here and give us a reason as to why.

Back
Top Bottom