Standby Mode question

NHT

Beta member
I just built a new pc and having trouble with the stand by mode. From my past Dell Dimension system, whenever going into standby mode, the whole system seems like it turns off. The fans and everything. However, now when I enable standby, the harddriver turns off but all the lights and all the fans are still running. How do I configure it to make everything turn off when I go into standby including the fans, lights and etc?

That's exactly what Standby Mode does. It goes into low power mode and when you move the mouse or whatever, it goes back to where you last left off. Use Hibernation and it should shut everything down. It is like a Standby but everything goes off. When you power on again, it loads up really fast and returns to its previous state.

with my computer, when i go on standby, all the fans turn off as well as the hard drive, i think thats what standby is supposed to do; i don't think the fans are supposed to be on during standby

i don't know if this applies to you, but there is somehting weird about my computer. When my mouse is connected through a USB connections directly w/o the PS2 asapter from USB to PS/2, then the fans stay on in standby for some odd reason, but when i put on USB to PS/2 convertor, and go to standby, then everything turns off. wierd ...

My mouse is connected directly using the PS/2 connection and it still stays on. I can hear the hard drive clicking off and monitor go blank, but my fans and lights are still on. Once i resume, Windows ask me for an administrative password and then I log in ( I set it that way so people won't screw around with my PC when I'm not home).

If you're using a AMD, it's usually more queit because of the cool and quiet thing. My 3.0 P4 based rig in standyby mode is really loud, but I go to sleep with it on standyby mode. None of the fans turn off, none of the lights turn off. That's just how mine is.

NHT said:
I just built a new pc and having trouble with the stand by mode. From my past Dell Dimension system, whenever going into standby mode, the whole system seems like it turns off. The fans and everything.
its probably like that becuse you built it yourself; I have a gateway, and on stand by, everything turns off, just like your old dell; but your new one that you made doesn't probably because its something that you need to do in bios i don't know what though

I don't think this a big issue though. The next time I do a restart I will double check the BIOS power management for signs that may lead to this predicament. I never use Standby or Hibernate anyways. Everything is either on or off. My monitor goes to sleep after an hour, but that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom