Specs for a good graphic PC

rocko918

Beta member
Hey Guys, New to the forums.

Need some help, I am a designer who is mac based at home but PC based at work. I recently took a new job and the PC sucks that I am working on. Well they say I have the best computer in the company (which maybe true) but it does not do well with my big print files. I was wondering if anyone could help me out spec a computer that can handle 50 to 70 meg files with more than 2 programs open. Right now I have a HP 3.4 with a gig of ram.

What do I need in the computer to handle my files? Better Graphic card? or is that really just for games? At home I have a dual 2.0 powermac and it's sweet. I don't know a lot about PC's and need help picking out a good computer so I don't have to wait for the screen to redraw my images.

thanks for the help

i would suggest a dual core cpus, either intel or amd based... for imaging.. i heard that intel has better dual core based cpus..

as far as ram goes... 1 gig should be enough.. but more couldnt hurt...

and perhaps the graphics card may have something to do with it... probably not... i mean it's just 2d images.. i'm assuming. So yeah.. the dual core will definitely help.

acekrn is right...You want to go dual. I suggest you stick with pentium. If you have alot of money to spend you can get the 955 extreme edition :) That would run all your programs without breaking a sweat. As for ram just buy 2gb of cheap stuff. Your not gaming or overclocking, so value ram should be fine for you!

The x2's killed the old pentium d's, but the new intels can compete with the x2's, but not within their counterpoints price point, since intel are most expensive. I recommend getting an amd athlon x2 4800, or intel extreme edition 955x( Dell oc'ed this dual core to 4.25ghz from 3.45ghz and put a warranty on their overclocking!!!!)

TreeHugger said:
( Dell oc'ed this dual core to 4.25ghz from 3.45ghz and put a warranty on their overclocking!!!!)
WTF oc'ed almost a gig :eek: and with a warranty

yeah, but thats for the hardcore gaming xps quad 7800gtx computer.. i mean.. he just wants to look at images.. lol

besides.. i know intel is better for desktop related work.. i'm a HUGE amd fanboy, but amd is backed for gaming dominance.

get INTEL dual core. and 2 gigs of ram, and a 256 meg vid card, you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom