Sp2

serani

In Runtime
So again, I had to reformat

( old computer, windows keeps corrupting "important" files that ends up just spamming me with errors constantly..)

so here I am, newly reformatted and I'm trying to reinstall SP2, well I've got the first batch of Microsoft Updates down but I fail everytime at this step:

Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 (KB842773)

Its the only one that has failed thus far, but it will not let me continue the installation for SP2 until its(BITS2.0) been installed as well.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Its sounds like you have some sort of hardware problem if this is keep happening after clean installs, possibly RAM or HDD, run some checks on them with memtest, and diagnostic software from HDD manufacturers website.

eek !

no good !

this makes my insides hurt....i did build her in 97' ....think its time for a new one? haha

Well Raffaz, thank you for the reply, I'll go run some tests on the RAM and check the HD afterwards...oh please be windoze faulte !

wow 97'...is it even XP compatible :p....yeah it does sound like a hardware problem, and now you said about 97' it sounds even more so...time for an upgrade me thinks ;)

Matt

Hehe, well it was a pentium 3 in 97, but I've since gutted it and ripped the mobo and what not out,

it was pretty much completely refurbished in 02', I've worked on this beast so much...but being poor you have to make up for with smarts ^ ^

..and elbowgrease

And just something to add, maybe for Raffaz, to give a little more information on my rig, I've reformated the thing multiple times a year, can this degrade anything as far as hardware?

And to further the problem, I've reformatted actually recently (3 weeks maybe?) with many failures in booting and reinstallation of XP and installment of SP2...but after dickin around and trying to do it ~20 times or so I had gotten it to work..

back to square one..

toole said:
Hehe, well it was a pentium 3 in 97, but I've since gutted it and ripped the mobo and what not out,

it was pretty much completely refurbished in 02', I've worked on this beast so much...but being poor you have to make up for with smarts ^ ^

..and elbowgrease

I hear you brother...

I hear you...

my two computers have cost me a total of about $500 over the last 6/7 years, and I just put about 70% of that total into them in the past 2 months...

what's that...? about an average of $70 a year on computers...? not bad imo...

:D

Haha exactly, you just have to wait for the good buys...

or until they are considered dinosaur technology :-D

Either way good going !

As for this, I see no errors with the HD

I'm running a RAMtest here in about an hour, though my old software seems to be awol

raffaz mentioned memtest, I'll have to see about this.

To be continued !

uh sorry for the ignorance, but I am not up to date with my file endings

I know a lot of linux distros utilize .gz's and tar.gz's but am I just wanting one of the basic ISO's?

Will it be ran as a boot up image or whatever? Do I have to slap it on a disk as if I were nubbin around on Fedora?

shucks.

anyone have a direct link to avoid more stupidity? :-D

Status update !

Its midnight, and I've reformated twice since my last post..haha

First reformat..nothing worked..just rebooted and started from scratch again..

Slowest boot up ever, ever 5-10 minutes? wow..

After it finally loaded..after another 5 minutes of watching the measley 10 icons on my desktop appear, I then tried loading IE6 to udpate to SP2 again..couldn't even connect to the site, but get this, all other sites were ok (can anyone else connect?) so then I backdoor'd teh bi*ch and went to my control panel and trying to just make an automatic update..that got block and this error comes up about some shell and .dll problem...little one liner windoze error..yay !(sorry I don't have an exact error >,< lost it !)

Ok so that whole paragraph is shit now..as I've just got the page to load..but it took what? 20 minutes? Holy hell ! What is going on here...I am pretty damn sure there isn't any malicious warez in my box and I'm not seeing any problems with the hardware...

I'm too noob for this !

Back
Top Bottom