Sound crackles when CPU usage rises

MooseMan1

Fully Optimized
I am having a problem with the computer at work that I am using. When I open almost anything, even just a Firefox window, the sound starts crackling. I can watch the CPU usage and it doesn't max out. In a normal situation, a computer will usually just slow down a bit if the CPU usage goes up, or at least in my experience.

So, with that said, any suggestions?

Just a note, I can not upgrade this machine since it is a company machine, but I can troubleshoot and tweak it at my pleasure.

Basic specs:
Dell Dimension 8110
Intel Celeron D 2.53GHz
1GB RAM
onboard graphics and sound

honestly if its a work machine then id ask your it department or tell someone, its really not a good idea to try repair your own works compueter

I am having a problem with the computer at work that I am using. When I open almost anything, even just a Firefox window, the sound starts crackling. I can watch the CPU usage and it doesn't max out. In a normal situation, a computer will usually just slow down a bit if the CPU usage goes up, or at least in my experience.

So, with that said, any suggestions?

Just a note, I can not upgrade this machine since it is a company machine, but I can troubleshoot and tweak it at my pleasure.

Basic specs:
Dell Dimension 8110
Intel Celeron D 2.53GHz
1GB RAM
onboard graphics and sound

Usually electrical crosstalk inside the computer caused by poor design. One of the many reasons why onboard sound is not a great option.

ssc I appreciate the advice, although the company I am with is not a cooperation or anything. It is a personally owned business and I work with the IT department :p They have already given me the go ahead to work with it as I like, I just can't buy any new hardware because they don't want to put any money into it.

antdemo I will give ccleaner a try, I use that at home and like it :)

and dj-chris, it may be crosstalk but I don't believe it is because i am not getting the same kinds of sounds that I've heard with crosstalk before, but I will keep that in mind :)

oh ok if you've got the go ahead,

id try ccleaner although im not 100% sure bout that, try updating your drivers

Could it be the PSU? I mean, this is a total guess, but doesnt power usage increase, as CPU usage rises? Do you know the wattage of the PSU?

no, I don't know the wattage of the PSU, although I highly doubt that is the issue, simply because it should be plenty to support the system.

Back
Top Bottom