Sorry for a third topic, but I switched the monitor and...

winterfreshpwnz

Fully Optimized
I had the same problems. First, I ran memtest, even though the ram doesn't really pertain to this problem, but it's always nice to eliminate choices, and got 0 errors like I expected. Then, I switched my monitor with my dad's (15 inch Sony LCD), and had the same old problems. At this point, considering I reformatted, it can't be software, my ram, or my monitor. The only logical things it could be are my mobo, my video card, or my PSU. But I'm lenaing towards the graphics card or the PSU. And I don't wanna take it into a shop because I've already had too many problems with this computer, the biggest being me RMA'ing my ram back to newegg. So I'm trying not to even tell my dad about this since he'll probably get really mad. Any ideas? And I'll try not to make too many more topics, actually the mods can just delete the previous two. Thanks again.

edit: here's a link the second topic I made, which has a link to the first topic in the second or third post I believe.

http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=23453

You always need known good items to test with. If you have another card you could install and it works then that would point directly to the vid card being bad. If you can get your hands on a digital meter you can test the power at the connections. Plus or minus 10% is normal. Let us know what you find out.

Yeah I don't have a spare video card unfortunately, nor a digital meter (never even heard of one, nor do I know what it is), so I'm kind of stuck. I also just finished cleaning the inside though, got rid of TONS of dust, mostly near the front of the case as you can imagine since there's 2 intake fans there. I also reapplied my thermal paste, so heat and airflow should no longer be a problem if it ever was before. Just trying to eliminate any possible problems since you obviously want to narrow it down as bets you can. I'm really leaning toward my PSU now though because it just seems like it would be more of a power issue, it seems like the comp is restarting and the monitor just happens to go idle instead of going back on, I can still play games fine and do other things ok, so it just seems like a power issue. Although it does seem to be happening more often, before it would rarely go off, now it's hard to even stay on my comp for more than a few minutes without a problem.

Back
Top Bottom