Solid State Member
Hey guys,

Just yesterday I built myself a new computer with the following specs:

ATI x1900 AIW
AMD 64 3500+
1 Gig ram
200gb SATA HD
Asus xpress 3200 crossfire mobo

Now on paper this computer should be able to run F.E.A.R on high with decent FPS. However, yesterday I installed BF 2 and was extremely disapointed with the results. Even before I started playing the game (IE during registration) it was lagging like crazy. It would work for 10 seconds and then completely freeze for 3. I downloaded all the latest drivers for my hardware already and simply cant figure out why its doing this.
Then I tried playing FEAR. I saw the same thing, while it wasnt nearly as bad as BF 2, it would lag or skip whenever something would load, even with the settings turned to medium.

I also ran 3DMark05 and scored around 8600, slightly lower than the ones I compared to online, but only by a hundred or so (and they had better processors).

Please help, it is very frustrating and I have simply run out of ideas,
Thanks

Hey, and welcome.

Your computer is a very powerful one, so I don't understand that one bit...
Your video card is one of the best as well!

It most certainly is the CPU thats causing the problem. Heres the deal:

I started BF2 and before I even entered a game I ctr-alt deleted out of it and noticed that my CPU usage was at 100%...it would stay at 100% and then drop down to 10% for a few seconds then back to 100% for another 10, etc.

Now should this be happening? Maybe with a pentium 3 processor but not with an AMD 64 3500+. Its not the best processor on the market by any means, but my friend can run BF 2 completely fine with a 2800+.

Any ideas on why its doing this?

Erm, drivers is the most partical advice I got give those omega a try. Um other then that IDK I just remember reading somthing like this the root of the evil was CPU bottle necking... Didn't ever find out what the solution was.

It won't be the CPU. That 3500+ is pretty fast you know, and wouldn't cause loading issues like that. I have it :p

I tend to agree with Kage however possibly the CPU is bad IDK. But heh I run that game maxed out settings with a worse vid card just fine! Well BF2 not fear.

To me, it seems more Windows related in some form or other...

If you could do a re-format, or even a de-frag, it may help.

How much are you running in the background?

Have you done checks for spyware/viruses?

If you do do a reformat, I suggest you make two partitions. Its the way I'd do it. Make one for Windows thats not that big, but still, a couple of gig, and then give the rest for programs, etc.

it should be using 100% of cpu usage since it's using all it's resources to support that game. that shouldn't really be an issue. and i doubt it's bottlenecking. the 3500+ is a powerful unit.

Yeah, though I doubt it'd run at 100%, even on a game.
100% tends to mean a programs crashed and its working hard to quit it, which really slows the processor down.

The CPU has the capability to bottle neck a graphics card, but with most of todays games, its uncommon, especially with a speed like that.

Back
Top Bottom