Some help

d-von

Baseband Member
Yea, so Im looking to buy a new computer.. just the tower, and I was looking to spend around a grand on it. I want the computer just so I can play games on it pretty much, new ones like WoW, and AOE3 ect ect... I was just wondering.. what are some of the main things I should be looking for so I can play these games and it will run nice and look good...

Also... Radeon x700-900 ect.. are they any good? Better then the 9800's?? Is the x series any good for gaming? Which ones should I not get? Or should I ask for something else? AGP or PCI what do you recommend??? And which processor would you recommend??

thx

For $1,000, you'll get a basic system. It will still play games and such. Key components are CPU, RAM, and video card. Most motherboards are pretty much the same with a little added features here and there that help enhance the performance. No big deal though. Here's something that I came up with that's around a $1,000. Ive listed just the main parts that you may have a concern with:

ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131569

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145450

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103539

eVGA 256-P2-N516 Geforce 7800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130256

You'll be able to do everything with this system.

TRD, just for the information, that motherboard is actually very good for the price. Very stable, I've had absolutely zero problems with it. I highly recommend!

Video card is also excellent, but that's a given :D. Zero problems for me with that as well.

That processor is good, how does it overclock? I know that he probably won't be into that, but I'm just curious myself since it has the San Diego core.

I don't have the memory, but I've heard that it is great.

I labeled that as a "basic" system, lol. It's actually better than a basic system. It will tear apart most aftermarket retail systems at CompUSA, etc. I picked the San Diego core mainly for the extra cache it holds, that's it. I'm sure it will OC well like most other Athlon 64's. That Corsair XMS series RAM is very nice for the price. Lower latency in a $100 package and comes with 1GB and heatspreaders. THat's a bargain.

I'd go with 2GB of ram, though then u might need to make some changes because it would most likely go over the budget. :confused:

Yeah, actually that PC will smoke mine pretty good if you compare that spec to what I got. Yup, that PC will OWN me for sure. My HyperTransport bus isn't even a 1000MHz because I got one of the oldest motherboard around (one of the first nforce4 motherboards when it first came out).

Im going to a computer guy to get this made so I should ask for..

Processor: AMD Athalon 3700+ (btw whats the speed on that?)
Video Card:I think this guy deals with ATI any suggestions for that ones? (do's and dont's)
RAM: over 1g?
Mother board: ASUS .. uh..

Yea I don't know that much about computers.. just really the basics rather then the models, so if you could explain it a little... more basic? lol that'd be awsome..

And are there any other parts I might get cheaped on I need to look out for? (power supply ect.) if you could tell me what to look out for and whats crap or not that be amazing.. Thanks alot

It uses a 2.2GHz CPU, like mine but with a newer and better core. I really don't think you need more than a gig of RAM unless you're operating a business or something in which you are accessing tons of info. If you're a hard core gamer, I hear you can benefit some if you have more RAM. It's whatever you want though. I linked you some parts you can buy above.

Alright, I'll write those down and see what he can do ... if not then I guess
Processor: over 2GHz
Video Card: Brand name over 128mb none integraded (PCI or AGP ??? which is better)
Ram: over 1g
Mother Board: Preferably ASUS

And are there any other parts I might get cheaped on I need to look out for? (power supply ect.) if you could tell me what to look out for and whats crap or not that be amazing..

Back
Top Bottom