Software Legallity?

CarbolicSmokeBa

Solid State Member
Hi all,

I have just bought a new system. Its supplied without OS.

Looking to put Win XP on. Still have the old software data CD and serial number supplied with my old/ salvaged PC.

Can I legally use my old SP with a copy of Windows XP I have just been given?

In essence I suppose I have still paid for Windows.

Anyone.......?

I'm not entirely sure about this, but if you only had it installed on one system at a time and so uninstalled it on one, I think its legal.
If you decided to install it on both at the same time, it wouldn't be.

If you still own a copy of Windows, it is yours to do what you'd like with. Legally, if you install it on your new system, you must uninstall it from your old system.

Also, just for clarification, when you say 'software data CD', what do you mean? If you mean restore discs, those are almost guaranteed not to work in another computer. They're made to work only with that brand. If it's the Windows installer disc though, it should work fine.

Ok, thanks guys.

Any idea if my current SP number will work with a copied full clean install version of Vindows?

Kage said:
Ah, I was right then. Good :)

Hey, we posted at the same time. :p

And yes, you should be able to upgrade to the service packs with no problem. Just go to Windows update.

Hmmm, I've been wondering about this too. So if I put my legit copy of XP Home onto a new pc that would be legal as long as I uninstall it from the pc it is on now???

What would happen when I had to activate XP on my new pc??? Would that not raise alarms at microsoft because how would they know that I have removed it from my previous pc??? Wouldn't they see it as two pc's having the same product key?????

Washington said:
Hmmm, I've been wondering about this too. So if I put my legit copy of XP Home onto a new pc that would be legal as long as I uninstall it from the pc it is on now???

Exactly. As for activating it, who's to say that you didn't get a new computer and want to install it on the new one instead? They don't really care as long as it's a legal copy of Windows.

Wait, when you buy WindowsXP HOme or Pro NORMAL Ed, you can put it on 3 computers... or maybe 2.. but I know it is either 2 or 3!

Back
Top Bottom