So i finaly got this server box

muz

Golden Master
So I finally picked it up today . like 2 weeks after agreeing i would have it.
So anyway first things first take a look inside see whats under the hood , i had a rough idea but a few details changed
So anyway under the hood is
a foxcon board with an intel chipset and socket 478
A 1.8GHZ intel celeron Northwood-128 with a 400Mhz bus and 128K l2 cache
A 40 GB samsung spinpoint -this thing is quieter than the spinpoint in my dell desktop
Onboard GPU sound and lan
cd rom drive
Its a prebuilt so its just a generic grey box but it has a win xp coa and 2 cooling fan bays at the back for 80mm and 2 at the front of the 3.25 bays
With it being a prebuilt i was suprized and happy to see the presence of the stock which actually does cool quite well as a opse to one of the stupid passive cooling setups you see in prebuilts
No case fans so i need to get onto that
And i did something stupid . This afternoon i took the HSF off cos it was pretty dusty and i totally forgot i dont have a spare tube of thermal paste in my cupboard so i search all over for just like a small dreg of thermal paste but nothing so i had to put the HSF back on with the used thermal paste so it is running at 50-60 right now with an auto shutoff at 70 just in case
So i need to go PC shop asap to get some thermal paste and a coupla case fans
But anyway its been running now for 2 hours and 53 minutes constantly and the cpu is at 50 and the HDD is 34
Its also been running server 2000 for that ammount of time and so far its been stable .I copied around 6 gb of music to the HD and it went pretty quick and is available on the other pc and ma laptop so all is good i suppose

this thread seems a bit abandoned, ill bump it for ya :)

glad you finally got it working. you should put your 120gb in it :)
is it hooked straight to your router? when my desktop is i can transfer stuff and fart about and its ok. if i have my desktop wireless it seems to be a bit slower and less reliable (obviously)

Well i was jst testing it the other night wired to the router with the desktops cable and downloading music from the server to my laptop and it seemed ok . I just took the fan grille out at the back and put an 80mm fan at the rear . just formatiing the 120GB as we speak into an 80 a 20 and another 20ish and then i am gonna put it downstaris nxt to the router with a printer on top of it.

So now i have it all set up downstairs next to the routher . With a 40gb and a 120gb hard drive in it .
On the 40gb
5gb for OS
15GB music folder
the rest for installers
On the 120gb
80gb for general data
20gb for shared documents and pics etc
the rest for funny vids and pics
So its running fine . I am controlling it via remote desktop and its running fine . All i need to do now is go and map all the drives to the 3 comps

I just didnt wanna install anything else on it cos of the low specs . And remote desktop is working fine now .
ANd yeah just playing some music from it now and all is good

ive got a crappy 256mb memory stick plugged into my homehub. when i get a 500gb external drive ill plug it straight into there. no computers needed :D ... i cant wait. thats the only decent thing about it

Back
Top Bottom