small tft lcd screens

siggy

Baseband Member
OK for a while I have been thinking of using a laptop based gps system so that I can get directions from the planned route as I drive.......

I have everything I need however the laptops screen would be in the way to much so I'm looking for a small screen say 8" ala OEM car systems anybody know who manufactures screens this size

Thought about a carputer but want to be able to remove the screen and laptop and ancillories if needed

Ok...

I found this on a quick search of Google. I've seen a 5' LCD screen before for under 2 bills but dang if I can remember where. But check this out for now.
http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=42
Now bear in mind having the lid down on a laptop will keep a lot of the heat inside the machine. Direct sun on the computer will not be good for it also. One last thing, power for these devices can overload a regular cigarette lighter socket. You may want to look into a power outlet from an RV shop to go up under the dash.

just googled myself and found this

here

editted to add

Thanks for that will send them a email I wonder if the screen is easily removable?

that's crazy techonlogy there but why don't you just get a regular GPS device...? I'm not trying to like stop you just wondering

Well...

A handheld GPS in a smallish device by design. The same theory to acccidents by cellphone apply here also. When your eyes are focused on a small handheld device while doing 70mph bad things can happen quick. When a dash mounted screen in the line of sight is used odds are greatly reduced for a accident. The screen I looked up is mounted on a pedistal and could be screwed down in the line of sight like a HUD. Heads up display. Jet jockies use them at mach speed and it works for them.

rdcmmnst

most of the gps sat nav systems I know only work on road or off road I need to be able to use the sys in both with out reloading the software...

plus

when off road, or for that matter parked up on road I can enter information into the computer i.e. photo's word doc's etc

I can also use the power of the laptop to switch between view OS maps to aerial view. split view of both etc.

Back
Top Bottom