slow pc problems

dude_se

Proper Legend
my pc takes ages to load the user login screen and does not switch off properly. will either freeze at the logging off screen or will not do anything or will say "it is now safe to turn off your computer" even though it used to automatically switch off. im running xp home. dont think i have any viruses or spyware.

Hmm weird. I'm afraid we'll need a bit more information than that though. What are your PC specs?

amd k7 processor, 505mhz,
192mb ram,
16mb banshee graphics,
9.3 hdd,
xp home,

Hmm, the reason straight away to why it'll be loading up slowly is the specs. That K7 505mhz procesor won't be doing it any good.

The reason it might have gotten slower than previously might be because that XP installation has been on for a long time, and so files have moved all over the place, and the computer will take longer to find all the nessacary files.

DISK CLEANUP:

In this case, go into Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then Disk Cleanup. After that has loaded, select everything to be cleaned, and let it do its job. That will get rid of alot of rubbish.

DEFRAG:

Now, go into Safe mode (f8 at bootup) and go to Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmentator.

That might take about 4 hours, but it will sort your hard drive out, putting all the files it needs nearer to the middle of the disk so it can load them faster, and also place them closer together. This may speed it up alot, especially if you haven't ran it before.

FORMAT DRIVE AND START OVER:

If that doesn't work, the only option I can think of would be to format your drive, and re-install Windows on it, and this would definietly give a speed boost. It may also fix that annoying problem with it not switching off, as this could be a driver conflict.

So this is the best option if you are able to spend a little time backing up before hand.

I hope this helps :)

i defrag and cleanup nearly every day and defrag takes half an hour at the most but i dont really time it. xp hasnt been on that long. i did have pro then formatted and installed home and it hasnt been on for that long. few months tops.

with windows saying "its now safe ect ect" could this mean that a programme is running somwhere what windows is shutting down for you. it could be spyware or the likes. what anti virus and spyware do you use.
woz

dude1234 said:
i defrag and cleanup nearly every day and defrag takes half an hour at the most but i dont really time it. xp hasnt been on that long. i did have pro then formatted and installed home and it hasnt been on for that long. few months tops.

Whoa hold on there partner. Defragging every day ain't gonna help. Doing the disk cleanup is good but xp builds log files and does other things that just chew up drive space. And to be honest the 9.3 most likely started out at 10 gigs before you put xp on it. That is not much room for a growing xp operating system. You put programs, data file, music and what not and you run out of room. Kinda like cramming kids in a phone booth. Try this program to get rid of well crap. It's called crap cleaner.
www.ccleaner.com
Turn on all of the features and run it several times till it finds nothing.
Get a reg cleaner. A fresh install of xp will leave a lot of junk in the reg that it no longer needs. A good reg cleaner will get it out. Mines in Russian so I can't recomend it. Maybe Kage can come back and post one you can use.
And finally a little program I use every day is>>> find junk files
www.majorgeeks.com
You'll find it under the utilities.
Well I'm off to finish my coffee and watch the tube some. Hope that helps...

wozelbeak said:
with windows saying "its now safe ect ect" could this mean that a programme is running somwhere what windows is shutting down for you. it could be spyware or the likes. what anti virus and spyware do you use.
woz

I'm sorry about the double post but you post caught my attention.
The reason he's getting the > It's now safe to turn off your computer< is due to several things. One is the APCI or ACPI whatever the letters are is not on in the bios. Another is the mother board may not support software controled shutdown. That system has some age on it. But my p2 supports soft shut down. I would think it might be prudent to have him check the bios for this function. Where did I set my coffee down this time?

im going to re format and install xp again now. i use avg antivirus and have microsoft spyware and adaware and some other progs. i will re format then if i still get problems i will try some of the above solutions. ill let you know when ive done it.

Is that an old HP? About twice as tall as a toaster and about as deep front to back? Kinda gray looking case?

Back
Top Bottom