Slow load time?

Insunna

In Runtime
Just recently - Maybe over the last 2 weeks my OS has became rather slow during restart loading times.

I'm currently running XP, and before this little issue came about it took at the most 2 minutes for my computer to shutdown, and restart back to my desktop and become fully functional again. However now it takes 5 minutes to get pass the "welcome" screen. What is the cause of this, anyone know a way to resolve this problem?

I've defraged my computer since this has happened. Nothing came of it, as far as im aware no new software was installed. I'm pretty sure i could reformat, however i would have to reinstall everything. Im not up to that challenge, i just got my system set up how i like it. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Why not check for spyware? get

adaware

spybot

microsoft anti spyware

scan for viruses !!

on all 3 of those programs click update

um lets see try cleaning out all of youre comps temp files,
run a disk clean up,

emtpy out the "Prefetch folder in c:/windows/Prefetch
um... Check msconfig(Start-Run Type in msconfig and uncheak any thing that you dont want to have started when youre computer starts up
if that works or doesnt let me know like i say reformatting yorue hd i say is like a last resort thingy ma bob Hope this helps sorry for typos and all that stuff :)
i

Check for updates of any kind for hardware or software, and, like slip said, run some good, deep antivirus scans/spyware/malware/etc. scans.

It's nothing to do with Spyware, Ad-ware, Trojans, Viruses.

I have Avast! - SpyBot S&D - Ad-Aware Se Pro - SpywareBlaster - And i always use Firefox. I've ran netstat nothing is there.

Right now I'm trashing all of whats in that prefetch folder, and running a deep scan again with all those programs. Updated all definitions for every program. Will run these over night, and defrag again while im at work tomorrow and then post an update of how things are going.

In the mean time, any other advice?

Tried all of these things. No viruses, no spyware; nothing. I defraged my drive and when i re annalyze it it tells me i should defrag this partition again. Anymore suggestions to get the issue resolved?

How much data you have on your hard drive? If your hard drive is getting full, it will slow everything down. Make backups and get rid of the files on their. Get rid of software you don't use too. An empty hard drive is much faster than a cluttered drive.

Dev0115 said:
When you say "slow" how slow are u saying? maybe its your HD

By slow, i mean it takes a good 5 minutes to get past my 'welcome' screen.

TRDCorolla said:
How much data you have on your hard drive? If your hard drive is getting full, it will slow everything down. Make backups and get rid of the files on their. Get rid of software you don't use too. An empty hard drive is much faster than a cluttered drive.

Yea, it's getting there. I have a tiny 40GB HD in my PS2 thinking about taking that out seeing if i can slave it, or partition it.

lhuser said:
Anything that's called StarWind Serivce?

Did a system search for it. Nothing by that name.

Back
Top Bottom