sLi question

badninja3

Daemon Poster
how much of a difference in performance is there between sli at 16x(each card) and 8x(half duplex, or w/e)?

Not very much at the moment. The only chipset to support two 16x PCI express lanes while in SLI is the latest Nforce 4 Chipset. Dell was the 1st company to get hold of them for their XPS systems.

At this moment in time with current CPU's, GFX cards e.t.c. there is curranlty no or very little performance to be gained. However, you never know what CPU's or GFX cards are just round the corner.........

No, Not 6800GS's anyway. There might be a slight, almost insignificant, performance boast say, if you used two 7800GTX's with 512MBRAM, but not with any 6800GS.

For the time being... no. But when games take advantage and start using the extra bandwidth then... yes. So lets just put it this way. If you are going to buy an SLI board for the first time then go with the 16x one. That way you can future proof your motherboard. (well that is until new sockets come out and if they advance the SLI technology)

EricM said:
For the time being... no. But when games take advantage and start using the extra bandwidth then... yes. So lets just put it this way. If you are going to buy an SLI board for the first time then go with the 16x one. That way you can future proof your motherboard. (well that is until new sockets come out and if they advance the SLI technology)
thank you. :D . that was exactly why i was asking. so i should go with a SLI16 for my new system, right?

i dont think u'll see any difference at the moment, i havent even tried sli with my comp but im thinking about it lol, doesnt anyone know what kind of performance ide get with 2 6800gts?

Back
Top Bottom