SLi Help! eVGA 6800GS PCI-E 256MB

Chinny4290

Baseband Member
Hey guys. I need some help.

First off, lemme give you guys some background.

My computer consists of an ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe Mobo, AMD 64 4000+, 3 gig mushkin green PC3200 184 pin (2x 512MB, 2x 1GB), Ultra 550W modular PSU, WD1200 Caviar, WD3200 Caviar, and 2x eVGA 6800GS 256 MB running on SLi.

Now, the first GPU I bought brand spankin new from NewEgg when my friend designed this comp for me.

The second one I bought off of eBay from a stupid seller who said it was fully functional. It wasn't (this was a year ago).

thankfully, he did not register it! So I was able to get an RMA from eVGA.

Though what happened was the first RMA I received from eVGA didn't work, so I had to get another one. So far it seems to be working ok...but...

everywhere I go it says I should be getting a 3dMark05 score of around 10,000 but I only get around 5,400...meaning only one card is running.

I have my drivers up to date, all the settings are put either to "Dual Video Card" or SLi enabled in BIOS, they are all enabled in the nVidia Control Panel...all the power leads are hooked up...both fans in the heatsinks are running suggesting both work.

I also remember swapping the new RMA into the primary PCI-E slot to make sure it worked and it did...but I just felt more comfortable putting the original GPU in the primary PCI-E slot.

Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on?

To add to the details...before I purchased the 2nd GPU...my computer took a not so great 3-4 foot fall from my bed to a area rug-covered wood floor...the only thing major that happened was a plastic part on the base broke, and the GPU was knocked out of its socket...but everything else worked perfectly and still works perfectly to this day...or so it seems.

Anyone have an idea of how I can properly diagnose the problem and see what's causing it, and determine whether I need a new RMA GPU (if eVGA screwed up again) or if it's my mobo...or my original GPU....

In addition, how should my 3dmark tests be performed? Whenever I get 5,400 as my score, that's because I'm running it on my native resolution (1680x1050), with full Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic filtering 16x enabled. However, when I run it at 3dMark's default of 1024x768, no AA and optimal filtering, I get 8,244 as my score. Should I be getting 10,000 score with my native resolution and all the AA and filtering jacked up? Or should I be getting 10,000 with the 3dMark default settings....or with my native resolution but no AA or filtering.

Help!

Benchmark with only one card in, than enable SLI and do both. If their is any peformance difference at all, you are running SLI.

SLI won't give you the huge performance boost you think it will.

Back
Top Bottom