Slaving Help

Richknows

Beta member
I am running XP on a built PC. The problem I am having is that I cannot keep windows running more than 5 minutes without rebooting. I would like to take the hard drive out and put in a new one and reload the operating system.
Is there a way after I load the new software to take the old hard drive and transfer the files to the new hard drive?

I know its not a hardware issue as this PC has a new processor and motherboard. I think the computer is infested with spyware and virus'

Any info you can give me I would appreciate or links

Rich

Yeah, that'd be easy. Once you get Windows running on the new drive, slave the old drive, and copy the files you want. Done and done.

Buy a cheap External Hard Drive and back up all your old files into it. Then reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows XP.

If your computer won't last long enough for you to back it all up (usually takes a couple of minutes) there are some companies that specialize in hard drive data recoveries..but prepare your wallet before doing so.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&q=hard drive data recovery

EDIT>>> Or you could go with what spank_fusion said...although I've never tried it so I wouldn't know how that would go.

so you would just put the the old hard drive on slave and put on the ribbon cable and power supply on?
when I reboot it wont see them as two OS'

No, the computer always boots from the master. The slave drive will just be more of a storage drive. You will be able to browse the drive with Windows Explorer once Windows boots from the master.

Back
Top Bottom