Should I upgrade or not?

nanllyn1

Solid State Member
I bought the Audigy 2 zs platinum. I mainly use them for listening to music with. I don't really play games. I currently have a set of Creative P580 which are 70watts 5.1 speakers. They do sound good but I can't turn them up enough to hear while I'm in other parts of the house. They aren't that loud and once you get them as loud as they can go they distort pretty badly.
So my question is, I'm looking at the Creative P7800 because they are $86 from Newegg, which are 7.1 and 90watts. I'm just wondering if that will be enough to make a difference. I just don't have the money for the Logitech Z-5300 or Z-5500, right now and it could be awhile for I do. Also I can't find the P7800's in my area to listen to, to see for myself. The room is 12 X 12 and on the end of the house.
Can anyone tell me if you think this will make enough of a diffence.

Wait, so you're asking if you need new speakers so you can blast them to hear from other parts of the house?

Holy smokes! You can't hear a 70 watt speaker system from the other end of the house? That house must be huge. Heck, I can hear my lowly Logitech X-230 2.1 32 watt speakers when I'm upstairs.

The P7800 just might do it for ya, but it sounds like you're going to have to save up for a more high powered speaker system like the Logeitch Z-5300 or Z-5500.

It is a very large house. It's about 80 feet long, 42 feet wide & has a full basement the same size. The problem is it is a solid concrete home including a lot of the interior walls so it is hard to hear my music from my kitchen when I'm working. My kitchen sits in the middle of the home and is approx. 40 feet from the office. That is the problem. And if I turn the speakers up to hear it while I'm in the kitchen then it is to the max volume and is distorted severly and to be quite frank still is not real loud. Also I'm a little concerned about blowing the speakers at max volume.
So I'm hoping to get a set that actually if louder. I just didn't know if it was worth $86 to get 20 more watts. I hear they are very clear and loud so that was my question. I guess I could buy the Z-5500 but I really didn't want to spend that kind of money on speakers.
Now this is totally off my question but another thought is to hook my computer up to my stereo that sits in the middle of my house. But it is 2 walls and 30-35 feet away. So not sure how to do that or with what kind of product. Wireless is almost impossible in my house because of the concrete walls but I just got a repeater and put it in the middle of my house and that seems to do the trick for getting wireless in my downstair family room. So that might be a possibility. I just want to say I connected my mp3 player up to my stereo via the Belkin FM transmitter and the music was muffled and you had to really turn it up loud to hear it. I didn't know if something like the Logitech Wireless Music System might sound muffled as well or would be a better product. This might be a better option than getting better speakers. I know I went way off track here but I didn't think about this option until I mentioned wireless.
Thanks for your help and time.
Nancy

Instead of blasting speakers, and possibly blowing out amps or tweeters... get a receiver with many channels and plenty outlets for speakers, than place speakers wherever you need to in the house. The only downside is I dont know how you are gonna wire it, you would need to splice wires to extend them long enough so that you could put the speakers wherever you want in the house, I also dont know how youre gonna hide the wires either. :p

But its a thought.

If youre inclined to blast music, get a 500 watt system and have a ball. :)

Heh, if you had the money, you could always buy a nice Sonos Sound System. :D That way you can listen to your PC's music from anywhere in the house. Of course, provided you can afford it (it's REALLY expensive).

Sonos are really neat. I would love one but as you said. That is really expensive.
I have been trying to do some research on the web and I may go the route of a wireless music system. As long as the wireless will reach it this may solve my music problem. From what I can tell it is because I was going through radio waves that is why my music was muffled and low in volume. It states that since it is via bluetooth or wireless you get much better quality. I would appreciate hearing from people that have a wireless music system. I like getting personal responses on what is good and what is not.
Thanks.
Nancy

Back
Top Bottom