Should I upgrade?

Never used AMD, but all benchmarks give the impression it is not worth it.

I'm still on a 3rd gen. i5 and I'm happy with it. Increased performance in newer generations is not worth it be it on i5's or even i7's when it comes to my needs. What could be critical in my needs is games and I'm still looking for 1080p and 45-60 fps. Replacement to a CPU better than that is a wrong move. I won't upgrade until it runs out of juice for good.

Never used AMD, but all benchmarks give the impression it is not worth it.

I'm still on a 3rd gen. i5 and I'm happy with it. Increased performance in newer generations is not worth it be it on i5's or even i7's when it comes to my needs. What could be critical in my needs is games and I'm still looking for 1080p and 45-60 fps. Replacement to a CPU better than that is a wrong move. I won't upgrade until it runs out of juice for good.
What benchmarks? Most people, even the ones doing the benchmarks, don't understand what they mean. There is a lot of yellow journalism out there. It gets worse in the computers world, since most don't get how computers work.

I'm on a 3rd gen i5 too and doing fine. I never bought cutting edge stuff because their prices are ridiculous and their value drops fast.

What I get is, what I'd like to say, last year's technology.

For those who are young and Dan, you probably know about this. IBM compatible PCs were dearly costly and not everyone can afford them. Also they were slow and small memory and ran on floppy disks.

Attachments

• tandy-8499.jpg
    tandy-8499.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Man, look at that price!

But you know, computer tech. prices seem to have dropped now that it has become main stream. Good for us.

What benchmarks? Most people, even the ones doing the benchmarks, don't understand what they mean. There is a lot of yellow journalism out there. It gets worse in the computers world, since most don't get how computers work.

I don't believe knowing what the word is important. I obviously meant actual tests by others, and it is not just one or two tests these days ;)

Man, look at that price!

But you know, computer tech. prices seem to have dropped now that it has become main stream. Good for us.

I don't believe knowing what the word is important. I obviously meant actual tests by others, and it is not just one or two tests these days ;)
What? I was just wondering what kind of benchmarks. Do you mean those "FPS benchmarks" or benchmarking software like Passmark?

What? I was just wondering what kind of benchmarks. Do you mean those "FPS benchmarks" or benchmarking software like Passmark?

Shoot! Sorry, I thought you disagreed and I actually thought Tech. said that not you, and you know how Tech.... ah, never mind :D

FPS tests are what I consider the most, yes, but I also mean other tests like encoding and file archive compression. When it comes to FPS, I noticed that real gaming FPS (not synthetics like 3DMark) is not that different in either i5 vs i7 of the same generation or much higher to my licking in i5 vs next generations' i5's and i7's. This also includes having much better results in some cases but still not the results that I really need or could use.

Shoot! Sorry, I thought you disagreed and I actually thought Tech. said that not you, and you know how Tech.... ah, never mind :D

FPS tests are what I consider the most, yes, but I also mean other tests like encoding and file archive compression. When it comes to FPS, I noticed that real gaming FPS (not synthetics like 3DMark) is not that different in either i5 vs i7 of the same generation or much higher to my licking in i5 vs next generations' i5's and i7's. This also includes having much better results in some cases but still not the results that I really need or could use.

Sure. Still, those benchmarks are not always entirely true, or, they don't "cover" every aspect of reality, so to speak. Like this: The AMD Ryzen 7: plenty of power, but underwhelming gaming performance | PC Gamer

And don't get me started on Tomshardware. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom