Should I still buy??

KH Sup

Baseband Member
Hi everyone. I need a bit of help deciding a dilemma:

So pretty much, I graduated from high school a few weeks ago, and I found out that one of my graduation presents was an alienware m17x r4 laptop (base specs im pretty sure, as I haven't actually received it yet i.e i7 3630qm, gtx 670M, 8gb ram). Before i found this out, I was planning on building a desktop computer with the following specs:
p9x79 deluxe MOBO,
intel i7 3820 (was gonna upgrade to ivy bridge-e when it came out)
nvidia gtx 680
16gb 1600mhz g.skill ram
and thats all that's important atm.

So my question is. should I just use the alienware until it cannot handle gaming at 1080p (1 or 2 years) and then build the desktop then. or still build the desktop now.

Keep in mind that I will be studying science, mathematics and ICT in uni next yr, so I will always need some grunt in my computer.

Thanks for your opinions guys.
:Thanx:

Sup

I would personally wait to build your desktop.

Reason being your Alienware as you say is probably going to handle most of what you can throw at it for the next year or so, I mean admittedly it is only a laptop so it's never going to perform as well as a desktop but it will do nicely for a year then when you build your desktop in a years time it's going to be a lot more powerful than if you built it today!

If it was up to me and money was not an issue, i will build my own desktop as well as having the laptop.
but money is almost always an issue. Especially for students, so you might just want to use the laptop as your desktop (adding keyboard, mouse, headset and monitor) for now.

thanks for ur opinion guys. and for that matter. yes money is an issue. at my current pay the $2000 i was gonna spend on the custom build is the equivalent of approx 175hours of work. so its no small amount for me. keeping that in mind. do u still believe i should not just wait till the laptop is outdated, and then do a custom build?

Wait for it. Things are going to change a lot in one or two years as you put it. Your money, with interest (not much, but still interest), will be able to build a much better desktop by then.

Wait for it. Things are going to change a lot in one or two years as you put it. Your money, with interest (not much, but still interest), will be able to build a much better desktop by then.

My point exactly.

Sure if money wasn't an issue then yeah go for it but who has $2,000 just to say yeah why not let's go and build a lovely powerful computer without thinking they could spend it on other things if they had a perfectly good powerful laptop sat there.

Hey guys. Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to the pro builders. But the con builders presented much better arguments hahaha. Thank you for your time guys! :)

Back
Top Bottom