Should I get another MB or a New VGA

Haku Mioje

Daemon Poster
I know alot of you have been seeing my posts on my system not functioning correctly due to no screen display... the setup i have is as follows:
Mother board (has been replaced already once, wondering if i might need a different one altogether
CPU
VGA (not sure if it is good or not because i dont know anyone that can put it in their computer to check)
RAM
Case/PSU (also have a 650 watt PSU on the way from newegg)

so my question is should i replace the motherboard with something better (if so please point me in the direction of one, with specs that will match the rest of my setup), or should i replace the VGA (with the same one preferably, or something that'll match and is SLI compatible)

BTW-- I go to school for computers and this is not my first build so i know everything is connected correctly... I have never encountered this kind of issue before...

Is there an OS on the machine and does it seem to boot? If it doesn't look like it's even posting, then I'd say it's probably a motherboard issue, if it looks like it's booting up but with no display then probably a graphics card problem.

I'm a bit confused though as to why you think it might still be the motherboard if you've already replaced it once?

thats what im saying, what my thoughts are is that it wont even get into BIOS, when ever i power up the system ive been doing it with bare minimum essentials(MB, RAM(1 stick),CPU, heatsink/fan for CPU, and VGA) just to see if i can get into my BIOS to configure everything... When i do power it up though all fans kick on at high speed and stay at high speed(im used to them kicking into a mid-range/low speed after initial boot but even after 15-20 secs it is still in high speed... this is why im believing it is the MB

I'm assuming by VGA you mean graphics card? :)

Hmm, I see what you mean. Have you tried it with another stick of RAM to be sure? And do the fans drop down in speed if you unplug the graphics card? (I know you won't be able to see anything, but that should tell you if it's causing the issue.) Sometimes a dodgy component can cause a motherboard to play up big time, I had this issue when installing a TV card once (when plugged in the motherboard wouldn't even POST.)

yes by VGA i do mean my graphics card, sorry im in a computer oriented school and in class we have to use their terminology.

I just pulled out the VGA and the fans started up in a low speed... What would you suggest now???

Thought it might be that. It sounds to me like your graphics card is faulty, and has broken in a way that seriously messed up the motherboard (stopping it from initialising properly.) I'd suggest replacing the card, and then hopefully all should be well! :)

Back
Top Bottom