Several Questions

JonathanC_009

Beta member
Hi, I have several questions about some hardware. (I'm buying a new computer and I'm planning on getting a heavy gaming computer.)

1) Which is better => getting "2GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz OC'd to 1066MHz-2 DIMMs" OR "3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs"?

2) What is the difference between GT, GTS, GTX in Nvidia GeForce 8800 graphics card series? Which one can produce better images? Which one can handle the higher end games that require a lot? Which one is better for its price?

3) Does the number of MB matter with video cards...for example is "512MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT" good enough to handle demanding games?

Sorry for all the questions.
:) All your help is very much appreciated!! :)

1.) id pick dominator

2.) think of it like a civic, theres a ex model, and lx model, then theres an Si

3.) not the biggest factor, but one to consider, more is always better

1) I'd say the "3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz" would be best. You shouldn't skimp on capacity with today's games and you could easily overclock them yourself.

2) They will all produce the same clear crisp image. It's just that each step up from GT to GTX to even Ultra offers higher gaming performance. Right now, a 8800GTS w/512MB uses the new G92 core and is one of the top performers in it's price range.

3) Typically, the higher the amount of on-board memory a graphics card has allows it to display images in higher resolutions without affecting it's performance. For most games, 512MB is plenty.

I'd also say get 3GB, but assume you'd be getting 2x1GB and 2x512MB, why not get 4GB with 4x1GB or 2x2GB, the second leaving you with room for expansion but being more expensive. Even if you have a 32 bit OS, the games you play will still be able to address all 4GB. The GT is currently a very good card that will play all the games you could possibly want to play at great settings with the exclusion of Crysis and maybe Bioshock. The GTS is around £40 more expensive and offers a dual slot cooler and a higher core and memory clock (about 5FPS on average faster than the GT). The GTX is made pretty much obsolete now that the new G92 core (512MB version) GTS is out. The GTS offers almost identical performance to the GTX but it's £100 cheaper. If you run demanding games at resolutions of 1280x1024 and above then anything with less than 512MB Vram would start to see dips in performance. Hope this explains some stuff.

1.) i say go with the 2 gigs dominator, because its a pretty good ram, and leaves room for more dominator in the future.

2.) i would get the cheapest one, since it is pretty much a really, really good card.

3.) the higher the MB, the better, i think the higher it is, the better the texture rendering or something, but one thing to look for in a good card is the memory interface, the higher the better.

go with the 2 gb

get the 8800GT for budget peformance(still very awesome)
get the 8800 GTS for more(get the new G92 GTS only)
the 8800GTX and the ULTRA are the best but its expensive

the higher the mb is better but also look for if its DDR2 or GDDR3(matters)
if you are getting a 8800GT look for the 512MB edition(dont worry about memory in other versions)

Back
Top Bottom