Setting up a wireless network for someone

superman22x

Golden Master
I went over there today and tried to set it up, with no luck.

She has ATT DSL, and a modem that she said was like 3 years old. Her computer is ancient too, but it is running XP. She but a lnksys wireless G router, and wanted to set it up so her daughter could use it when she came home from college.
This is what I tried, I ran the ethernet cable from the modem, to the router, to the computer. Went through the entire set up process on the paper, and it doesnt work. No internet is coming in.

So than I tried running the DSL to the computer, and than out through another ethernet port to the back of her router from the computer. And than set the DSL connection to be shared, and apparently that didnt work.
But I think it may be because she didnt set up the network on the laptop that the person testing it brought over later.
I really dont know what to do now tho. Any ideas?

She is using DSL through like PPPoe or something. Which is older I think, but I am not sure.

try this:

set it up so the so modem ISNT a DHCP server and the router is the DHCP server, that should work. i dont think you can connect a DHCP modem\router to another modem\router because they both have to have static IP's. the network should still be DHCP however as the computers will get leases from the router instead

It sees 2 new connections when I plug it through the router to the computer also. One is Internet Gateway, and the other is a standard Local Area connection.

And the DSL connection cannot be dialed anymore.

How do I do that rudster?

It sees 2 new connections when I plug it through the router to the computer also. One is Internet Gateway, and the other is a standard Local Area connection.

And the DSL connection cannot be dialed anymore.

How do I do that rudster?

wait, so when you log in to the modem it cant find the DNS anymore? so even when the modem is connected directly to the computer you dont get internet?

if it cant find the DNS than thats the reason you dont have internet anymore.

Kill the dhcp in the modem. Enable it in the router. Set the router to PPPoE. Enter the id and password. Enable stay alive connection. Reboot everything.

Back
Top Bottom