Setting Up Website

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
Hey, I know this is technically in the wrong place (should be in webhosting), but since the last post there was from late June, I'm a bit inclined to bend the rules and post it here ;).

Anyways, I was curious to know if it is possible to set up a small website on an older computer I have. It's not that old (P4 1.5 GHz, 768 MB RAM, 60 GB HDD, Radeon 7000 Pro) and I was wondering if I could set it up so it could host a website for my father. It will not be heavily traveled and there will not be a lot of downloadable (if any) content on it. I just need to put some basic information on the web for him (contact information, past/current projects, galleries, etcetera). I've considered a free web hosting deal, but I figured why not try to do it myself so I can design the page myself with some publishing software.

Is this at all possible?

Well it's gonna be a lot of work; this site has everything you could imagine on the topic--

http://www.dslwebserver.com/
Basically Apache, email, and FTP servers...

I would go with buying/free hosting if I were you. A lot easier :)

... Wow... I did not know it would be quite that much work... I think I might go with free or something, and use this one is a FileServer for our home network. Thanks for the link though! Very helpful! Rep for you! :D

Back
Top Bottom