Serial ATA question

lee42lee

Baseband Member
I just installed a new motherboard and was needing to know about Serial ATA. I have never used it and really have no idea what it is. Do I need to hook the hard drive to the IDE or is it better to use Serial ATA. Thanks for any help.

Lee

On your motherboard, there are SATA interfaces you plug the SATA cable into. The other end goes into the hard drive. You don't use the IDE at all. That is old technology.

Thanks TRD. I take it then that Serial ATA transfers data a lot quicker. Does it make everything load quicker? Sorry for all the noobie questions I really enjoy building these things and I am trying to figure it all out. This system is for a friend. I still havent made up my mind what board I am going to get for mine. I agree with your last post the GA-K8NXP-SLI seems way over priced. I think I will go with the Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9.

That's the same board I have now. It's still in the box because I can't do anything with it yet. Still waiting for my other parts to be delivered next week. The only thing I've done with the motherboard is to setup the power switch so I can see the fans spin and the LED light up. It looks really cool. Then turned it back off and put the motherboard back in the case.

SATA is suppose to be better than the ancient IDE drive technology transferring data at 150MB/s and higher compared to the ATA133 (133MB/s or less). In sense, it's suppose to be quicker that way, but not a huge significant amount. For that, I would get the Western Digital Raptor SATA drive because it spins at 10,000RPM instead of 7,200 RPM for most drives. Plus, the data cable for the SATA is far thinner than the humongous IDE ribbon cable. It will allow for better air flow within the case. Looks a whole lot better than the ugly IDE "wide load" data cable.

Back
Top Bottom