Second Monitor Help.

Ljansen

Solid State Member
HI

I have 2 monitors, only 1 is connected to my computer.
In the back of my computer i have a VGA(Being used for first monitor) and a DVI-I.

I would like to be able to extend over the second monitor. Can i do this just by converting the DVI-I to vga or do i have to change my video card.

Thanks

P.S Im only a teenager and don't know much about the insides of a computer.

You can convert the DVI to VGA, yes. What kind of monitor do you plan on hooking up for the second one? I would use the DVI connection to hook up another monitor, as it carries a better signal, and you don't have to worry about having a converter.

Once you hook up a second monitor, right click on the desktop and click screen resolution. You can change the resolution, arrangement, etc. from there.

Be sure, check first the memory size of your video card. Sometimes, if you force to put another monitor connected to your computer it will dump - blue screen or you will encounter an error because of the small size of your video card.

Be sure, check first the memory size of your video card. Sometimes, if you force to put another monitor connected to your computer it will dump - blue screen or you will encounter an error because of the small size of your video card.

:ermm: I've never heard of this happening. If a video card has two outputs, then I see no reason it can't run dual monitors. Especially in today's technology age. Considering my onboard laptop graphics can run two monitors I don't think this will ever be an issue.

Could be happened. Because the extended monitor is required for memory size which could reduce the size of your video card. 2 gb video size is enough for dual monitor. i encountered this problem of my office, the technician forced to add another monitor. What happened the main monitor runs slowly because of the 1 gb video card. Half the size of the video shared to the extended monitor.

Could be happened. Because the extended monitor is required for memory size which could reduce the size of your video card. 2 gb video size is enough for dual monitor. i encountered this problem of my office, the technician forced to add another monitor. What happened the main monitor runs slowly because of the 1 gb video card. Half the size of the video shared to the extended monitor.

A card with 128Mb is enough for dual monitors, I can gurantee it my old 7100GS did it perfectly back in the day.
Heck i'm pretty sure that you could do it with a card with 32Mb memory.

Of course it depends on what you are doing but if your not gaming then as J Mac said pretty much any card that still exists today will do it for you.

So this 1GB video card isn't big enough? And since they say it supports up to 4 monitors they must be false advertising?

Or this behemeth won't run dual monitors since it's only 1GB?

And just to :horse:, I have this card and run dual monitors with it.

[EDIT]Upon closer inspection, that's not my exact card, but it mine is only 512Mb that I bought because it was cheap and it would do dual monitors. Since I don't game, it works perfect.

Like others have said the size of the video card doesn't determine if the card will struggle to run two monitors. I have a couple of old 128MB-512MB AGP cards that can run dual monitors without out a problem. I even have old 32MB-64MB cards from Mac G3 and G5's that run dual monitors without a struggle.

Back
Top Bottom