Second HD on a GA-EP43-UD3L

Munk

Solid State Member
I have a 640GB Samsung HD642JJ installed on a GA-EP43-UD3L. I have taken out an older 250GB HD of my parents computer when I helped them upgrade and am trying to figure out what to do with it. I have two questions:

1. I do not think that GA-EP43-UD3L supports RAID.

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-EP43-UD3L (rev. 1.1)

There are the specs on that board. My first question is that if I can RAID, is it a problem that I have 2 different sized HDs that run at 2 different speeds in a RAID configuration?

2. My second question is that I know that what many people have done in the past is partition out a section of a HD to only run their OS (for me its win 7-64) to increase their system speed. Is there a way for me to use this secondary HD to serve that same function and only be used to run the OS?

Your motherboard doesn't support RAID so that is out of the question. If you have two drives, probably the best way to use them to increase disk read time performance, given your motherboard RAID limitations, is to use one drive for your operating system and programs and the other for your data. You could also try your OS on one, and your programs and data on the other drive. But that would involve specifying the installation of each program, when you install it, to the second drive. It is recommended that you use the best performing hard disk for your operating system, then you could simply move your My Documents folder to the second drive. That would put your OS on one drive and your data on the other.

Back
Top Bottom