Seagate HD Seek Noise

Mine are hardly noticeable. Maybe it's just your case. You could always try running their SeaTools diagnostic program on 'em to make sure they're OK.

I have a dell and it came with a seagate hard drive and I had the same problem you're having. The HDD seek was loud and I never knew why. I ended up getting a bigger hard drive but the old one (the seagate) still works fine. Maybe it's just the model you got or something.

Also my western digital is slightly quieter but not much. It could be the dell cases, there's really not much besides a crappy side panel which is made of flimsy metal.

Well the older one failed on me, but I brought it back to life with the freezer trick and it's still working. I ran SeaTools on that drive and it passed every test. I think the seek noise is just normal. Every once and a while the new drive will make a chirp too. On the Seagate website it says:
Normal sounds include:
1. Whining noise during drive spin-up.
2. Regular clicking or tapping sounds during drive access.
3. Hard clicks when the drive heads park.

My Seagate Barrcuda's (I have 2 running in RAID 1) do make quite a bit of noise while seeking too.

I built my brothers machine with 2 Samsung drives, and these are quiet as a mouse, so the answer is no, not all are like that.

Its not a problem though, but they are the loudest thing in my system, when Antivirus scans are running, etc as they do at bootup.

I've got an 80GB barracuda 7200rpm, i get noises but figured out it was the case. Make sure your case isn't loose or touching the HD

My brother's old system came with a Seagate 200GB SATA. It was exactly the same. Really noisy and made a random chirp from time to time. It works fine still, just annoying. He bought the PC 2 years ago. I stick with Western Digital for hard drives b/c all new WDs I have owned have been silent, even the old ones I got have been fairly quiet.

Do you think that a Western Digital will have a quieter seek noise? Because this Seagate is driving me nuts! Everyone says Seagate drives are quiet; yeah they're quiet when they're not being accessed. Maybe if I return this one and get a Western Digital it will be quieter, because the Western digitals have acoustic management and the Seagates don't.

Back
Top Bottom