Screen Tear

here2learn1

Solid State Member
Okay, so I've got a Macbook that is from '08 that has pretty much served its time well and quite recently it's having a hardware issue where the screen almost 100% of the time has a vertical tear going on:

photobucket-6135-1351525334304.jpg

I know I have the option of taking it somewhere and having it fixed, but my plan with this computer was just to hook up an LCD to it and use it as a downloading mule.

My question lies here(and it might be a dumb one) but does anyone think that this problem will transfer onto the ported monitor? I know for a fact the issue is within the monitor signal ribbon(I am able to flick the screen and move the arm at certain angles to which it will change/disappear)

I just want to cover my bases before I purchase another monitor.

Thanks

Hi,

If the problem is definitely with your laptop screen then the problem wo't exist when you connect it to an external monitor, as your graphics card and external port is fine. (presumably)

If that was a solid black vertical bar from top to bottom I'd guess it was a failed segment of the backlight. But its grey, so you'll need to Google around to be sure its not the video card/on-board video chip.

Can't you just hook it up and see? Borrow one from a friend or relative if you don't have one and don't want to purchase one - heck they won't even need to turn their computer off for you to check....

Confirming your suspicion of faulty LCD panel, just hook up an external monitor as you suggested.

Back
Top Bottom