SATA HD Question

PCNoob2

Daemon Poster
I have installed my hard drive and have plugged in the SATA cable from the HD to the mobo and connected a power supply cable to it. But on the PSU box it says it comes with 2x SATA cables that look long, thin, and black. I haven't plugged those into the HD because I'm not sure what they are for. I already the the SATA cable and the power supply cable plugged in correctly.

Does anyone have any idea what they do? Thanks.

long thin and black... are you talking about the sata connectors, mine are red with black tips. that or it could be the ide cables? i honestly am not sure what you're talking about.

Im guessing ya have plugged the 4 pin molex into ya SATA drive, that will work, but ya have special SATA power connectors aswell, you will see them on the back of the HDD

Raffaz said:
Im guessing ya have plugged the 4 pin molex into ya SATA drive, that will work, but ya have special SATA power connectors aswell, you will see them on the back of the HDD

Yeah, they're from the PSU and are just black, and thin. They're not the wire that plugs into the mobo, I know that much.

So are they not necessary if I have a 4 pin molex in there?

I would use the proper SATA ones personally. It wont make a difference. It just means ya have got more molex connectors spare for future upgrades

Back
Top Bottom