SATA Hard drive

aCb

In Runtime
With my new system im wondering if I should get a SATA HD. Can anyone tell me the difference between these and a normal IDE HD.

Also are socket 939 mobos better then socket 754? The athlon 64 im getting is socket 939 but another one im looking at is socket 754.

socket 939 is better, it offers dual ddr and it is to become amds standard socket.
754 was their answer to being behind schedule with the release of 64bit processors. It was realsed to keep schedule really and does not offer the features a 939 does.
And as far as I know SATA is better because its data transfer rate is higher than IDE. Dont know much about it.
Def 939 though

939 also allows for fast "data drops". The more pins, the more information can flow freely into and outof the processor. As far as SATA goes, it is the best right now, but only by a slim margin. Gian will tell you that Windows allows only 100MB/sec for accessing the primary kernels, so it doesn't matter right now, but I presume you don't get a new PC every year, so if you are like most people, you want it to last. Go SATA if you want future upgradability. :D

Don't speak for me. SATA has not given me any stability when I got a 60GB SATA Drive. I find the technology to be too primitive, like PCI-EX.

Yeah, SATA is too new. But it will increase transfer speeds, although I doubt you'll be able to notice it...

alvino said:
Yeah, SATA is too new. But it will increase transfer speeds, although I doubt you'll be able to notice it...

I'll get SATA once it establishes itself. But you must remember, technology sometimes falls out of favor. There was a standard that was going to replace VHS in the late 80s and early 90s, but it failed.

No single SATA drive on the market that I am aware of has the capability to maintain a continuous transfer of 150MBps. The area that is does help is in burst reads and writes to the on disk buffer. The max rate stated, is the burst rate which lasts anywhere up to 30 secs. Run two SATA drives as a stripe. In theory you're doubling your HD performance. I would still get SATA because of its potential.

For CPU, 939pin Athlon 64 is the way to go.

This is true... However, I have said 1000's of times, if you are getting a new PC, get SATA for the future. Same thing applies to AMD64, get 939 pin, not 754. ATA is like 754 pin, SATA is like 939 pin.. Get the combo of SATA and 939 Pin, and try for PCIe, and be happy!

Back
Top Bottom