Safety in building a computer?

geek_gal

Daemon Poster
This is been on my mind for a while now, so i was wondering for anyones tips/tricks or as it says in the subject *Safety* in opening up computers and tinkering with the components(sp?) etc...?

Ive had a bit of you could say *close* encounters with electricity :rolleyes: :eek: ...

well ... ground yourself to the case, by touching the metal chassis. Always unplug the power cord before cracking it open.

well you need the power cord plugged in to ground your case but make sure its not switched on (shame i forget to check little things like that). Yeah and when your touching computer parts make sure you keep a hold on the case when it is earthed

technoman said:
well you need the power cord plugged in to ground your case but make sure its not switched on (shame i forget to check little things like that).

Have to disagree with you there. Unplugging from the wall totally ensures that no electrical current is flowing ... should never trust that the power switch on the back of your pc is enough. I've been in enough electrician's courses to know that power switches are never the end all, be all. :)

technoman said:
Yeah and when your touching computer parts make sure you keep a hold on the case when it is earthed

This is what I was meaning about grounding yourself to your case, by touching the metal chassis, or the case as you put it.

The secret to attaching the little screws onto the tip of a screwdriver is to use a piece of tape. That way, you can get into tight spots where your hands won't reach and at the same time tighten whatever you have to tighten.

I wish i thought of that 2 weeks ago. i spent a half an hour trying to get a screw into a HDD from the MOBO side,lol.

Back
Top Bottom