s939 opterons

If you're talking about Opterons 1xx, for Socket 939 they are San Diego and Toledo for Single Core and Dual Core Processors respectively. They are not Venus or Denmark like some people call them because those were the codenames for the Socket 940 Opterons 1xx that diferentiates with the Socket 939 ones because they Integrated Memory Controller physically requieres that you're using Buffered Memory Modules.
Denmark never was released because the migration of Opterons 1xx from Socket 940 to Socket 939 started before, though there are some Opterons 1xx with Venus Core distingible due to they BK surfix (They're rare though).

Hmm, I'm slightly confused. Or perhaps me and the websites are. I looked up the Model number for the 1st 'Venus' CPU there. It came up on a few stores as being Venus or San Diego. Anyway, they would work fine in the Skt 939, just mind and make sure the Mobo supports a 1GHz HyperTransportBus.

connchri said:
Anyway, they would work fine in the Skt 939, just mind and make sure the Mobo supports a 1GHz HyperTransportBus.
i think most do. but does the venus-core allow 4gb ram? how about 2x2x512mb dualchannel?

they most likely do, they are after all server cpus and servers use quite a bit of ram i think, the 144 and 146 overclock like hell u'll be getting 2.7 - 3.2GHz with them

The 148 does well too! If my RAM was a little better I could be hitting 3 GHz, I'm sure. I'm running stock voltage on everything, too. FSB's right at 200. :D

Stock cooling too, maximum temperature: 51 Celsius during Prime95. :D The multiplier is unlocked but it is at the maximum by default.

Check your BIOS. If it doesn't, see if your motherboard manufacturer has the latest BIOS updates. Those usually have the support for the latest processors.

connchri said:
Contrary to popular belief, low latency memory does very very little to boost performance (talking about 1-2% here). But decent memory for overclocking (If thats what your gonna do) is recomended. Just get higher rated (550-600MHz) Crucial Memory. Its a solid brand. Never a problem. Have a look at thier Balistic range.
what is this MHz thing? like, huh :confused:

Back
Top Bottom