Router Help...

mdossantos047

Beta member
So, I have this Windows XP desktop computer connected to Verizon DSL. It's got a few years on it, but I'm in no hurry to get a new one.

I bought a hard-wired router to connect my Playstation 3 to online play. And that worked pretty well, I got kicked off of a lot of bigger games and it was a little slow, but still good.

Now I just bought a new HP laptop that runs on Vista and took the wire from the PS3 to the computer. Now, it doesn't even connect half of the time. I think I found that the problem was BitTorret yesterday, and found out that to connect to the internet fast, I have to close the program.

Now here's the big thing. When I connect the router to the laptop and the router is working good there, the internet on the desktop doesn't work at all. I've also noticed that through the router and modem, I have to restart them both and jiggle the switches a few times to get them to work on my Laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please mind that I'm a noob and am really not that computer-literate.

First what kind of router do you have?

You are connecting your modem to the port that says Internet and connecting your computers to the other ports correct?

Did your desktop work at the same time as your PS3?

When you have your laptop and desktop plugged in do you have link lights on your NIC's? (Where you plug the calbe into each computer there are usually two lights associated with the port that will either blink green or amber).

I have a D-Link EBR-2310 for my router.

I don't think that I ever had anyone on the desktop computer while I was online on the PS3.

And the internet cord is a yellow ethernet cable connected from the computer to the router in the port that says "internet", and then I have a blue cord in port 1 connecting to the modem, and a grey cord in port 2 connecting to the actual laptop.

When both are plugged in, usually the Internet and Ethernet lights are the ones that blink green, and sometimes they all just stay green.

Your cord from the modem should be plugged into the port that is labeled "Internet", then your Desktop and laptop should be plugged into port 1 and 2.

Back
Top Bottom