Router Help

shawn_selig291

In Runtime
hi guys, i'm looking into maybe getting a wireless router... i have a high speed cable connection for my internet... but i currently have a Dlink DI-604 ( i believe its their first revision, i bought it about 5 or 6 years ago)... i have 2 computers connected to it at the same time... i noticed the router like shuts down alot, either restarts itself... or i have to power cycle it...

i do net surfing on the one comp. and torrents on the other.. i have setup a static ip and port forwareded for the torrents...

my question is, would getting a new router be better, and if so would wireless be good for around the house?....

any suggestions and comments would be greatly apprecaited, thanks in advance :)

Well, first of all if its 5 or 6 years, thats DAMN OLD. I would suggest getting a wireless router. Also, instead of D-Link, get Linksys. I have Linksys, it works like a charm. So glad I got it instead of the D-Link. Linksys is more expensive than D-Link, but its so worth it.

Wireless or wired depends on where the computers are situated in relation to the router. If they aren't that far away, you may not need to get a wireless router, but wireless would give you the freedom to move the pc's wherever you wanted without running more cables.

If you are going to go wireless, definitly get the Linksys WRT54g, I have used it for about a year and a half now and haven't had a problem with it yet. And they're easy to set up. You can be up and running with your wireless network in 10 mins.

Also remember that you need to buy wireless adapters for your pc's too (if you don't already have them).

Tommy Boy said:
Wireless or wired depends on where the computers are situated in relation to the router. If they aren't that far away, you may not need to get a wireless router, but wireless would give you the freedom to move the pc's wherever you wanted without running more cables.

If you are going to go wireless, definitly get the Linksys WRT54g, I have used it for about a year and a half now and haven't had a problem with it yet. And they're easy to set up. You can be up and running with your wireless network in 10 mins.

Also remember that you need to buy wireless adapters for your pc's too (if you don't already have them).

ok, as far as wireless adapters go, i'm looking to find some usb wireless adapters... are they any good, and where can i find them, thanks

Tommy Boy said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124126

USB adapters are good and will work just fine for everything you want to do, but I just prefer the internal PCI wireless cards just because you don't have anything sitting on your desk that you have to move or find a spot for or whatever.

ok, i found this one:
http://www.futureshop.ca/marketing/...FS10043626&catid=&PCName=Vendor_Linksys_Main#
is this the complete package... and whats the speedbooster, thanks

p.s. will this router handle torrents on one connection and surfing on the toher without crashing like my older one?

pail_white_kid_rapper said:
ok, i found this one:
http://www.futureshop.ca/marketing/vendor_linksys/proddetailpc.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10043626&catid=&PCName=Vendor_Linksys_Main#
is this the complete package... and whats the speedbooster, thanks

p.s. will this router handle torrents on one connection and surfing on the toher without crashing like my older one?
Well the speedbooster makes your connection go faster, you have to have an adapter that supports speedbooster as well to take advantage of it though. That will handle sharing your connection without crashing.

Wireless is great technology, but I would make sure that anything bandwidth intensive (i.e. gaming, torrents, etc.) stayed cable-connected if at all possible. Also don't forget to secure your wireless router. Use WPA and don't broadcast your SSID...

Back
Top Bottom