Reformatting and Re-installing windows XP

FuRgy

BSOD
Hey, I am currently using Windows ME, and want to reformat and install Windows XP Professional, How would I go about doing this????

I have tryed some things-

1. Restarting my comp. with the XP CD in my drive - Nothing Happened; my computer just booted up normally :(

2. Putting the windows ME TSratup disk in the floppy drive, formatting that way, Then after the format, putting the windows XP CD in the drive and running d:/setup.exe - It said "This program cannot be run in DOS mode.

So does anyone know how to?

What kind of computer do you have? When you cut it on, do you see anything on the screen about "press DEL to enter setup" Usally it's delete, or it could be F1, F2, CTRL+F2, etc... Find what it says and get into the setup menu.

I can be of more help when I know what BIOS you have, or just the brand of the computer, but yuo should see something about BOOT. Or sometimes it's in advanced setup. Just look around for BOOT SEQUENCE. DO NOT change anything else. Just change this to one of your CD drives as the first boot device, and that should fix it.

From there, the XP disk has a format option.

Thanks soooooo much TOW, I went into the bios, and changed the boot order so my cd drive boots first, now it recognises it...:):) thanks again

Ok, so last night I reformatted it, deleted my only partition, made a new one, and installed XP on it...

Everything went fine, after XP had successfully completed, after the windows XP splash screen, the screen stayed black for quite a while (about 5 minutes).

Then it booted up, everything was fine except it didn't recognise my CD drive (Yamaha CRW8824E) and my dvd rom (Atapi 16 X DVD-ROM)

It recognises them in the bios, but now in my computer.....

When I reformat and re-install ME, it recognises them fine....

The CD Drive doesn't even open if i press eject, but the DVD will open...

While the comp. is booting up, the CD drive wioll open, but after the splash screen, when it stays as a blank screen for about 5 minutes, it won't open...

Anyone know what the problem might be...as the comp. won't recognise my cd drives I can't install my modem (so i cant have internet access) and all my other things.

You need to get appropriate drives for each of those components. Otherwise, none of that hardware will work.

Ok, I'll try again sometime soon, But I was just wondering I never had to get driver's for re-installing ME so why with XP? And will I have to save these drivers to a floppy disk?

Can i ask why are you upgrading? Youll most likely just see slow downs.

Drivers shouldn't be so much an issue with CD and DVD drives anymore... I guess maybe IDE drivers, but it's still odd seeing as it actually installed off them ;P One of the first thigns that popped into my mind was some sort of virus. I know you just installed but I dind't know if you used some disk. I got a boot sector virus once that would cause my CD ROM to quit working...

As for the upgrade, I do reccomend getting away from ME, however, I do not care for XP much myself(as I'm using it now ;P) 2000 is my top choice, or even 98SE. Yes, I'd downgrade to 98 before using ME, but that's just me...

The disk of XP Pro Iam using is a copy, and has been installed on another computer...So what do you suggest I do?

As for why I am upgrading, well because to be honest I have never had any major problems with ME, I just want XP to see what it is like...

hehe, I suggest you don't tell us it's a comp ;P

I don't care to get much farther into this so I don't get kicked off the forums ^^;

Back
Top Bottom