Reformatting Questions for the Noobie

Jp425

Baseband Member
I want to do a reformat of my computer and am trying to find a few things out.
I used belarc to print out all my components..

but how do i find out if my windows xp pro 2002 is a 32 bit or a 64 bit

because i want to downlaod the drivers before hand, and when i go the asus site for my motherboard http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
it has both 32 and 64 bit files.

------------
what are the drivers i should save?
the motherboard, display drivers, sound drivers, printer drivers, AMD processor drivers. anything else?

and when i go to install is there a order to them. Should i install the motherboard drivers first, then the display drivers, then processor drivers, sound , printer?

thanks, this is my first time reformattring.

I'd venture to guess that your XP is a plain ol' 32 bit version. To be sure, do this:

Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK. Click the General tab. The operating system appears as follows:
• For a 64-bit version operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version appears under System.
• For a 32-bit version operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version appears under System.

The drivers you'll need are motherboard chipset, video card, sound (if using an add in card), and any other peripherals that have been added. The order you posted is a good way to install them.

What motherboard are you using?

I'd venture to guess that your XP is a plain ol' 32 bit version. To be sure, do this:

Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK. Click the General tab. The operating system appears as follows:
• For a 64-bit version operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version appears under System.
• For a 32-bit version operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version appears under System.

The drivers you'll need are motherboard chipset, video card, sound (if using an add in card), and any other peripherals that have been added. The order you posted is a good way to install them.

What motherboard are you using?

.thanks Atomic Rooster. Your right it looks like i have 32 bit. It just says Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2.

My motherboard is: ASUSTeK M2V-TVM

My chipset is: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS

Sound is: RealTek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller
SRS Audio Sandbox (WDM)

Monitor: Dell E228WFP

Do i have to disconnect from my router and unplug all the periperials (ie printer, modem, external harddrive, camera).

That ASUS site is kinda of confusing, I don't know exactly which driver I'm supposed to download.

You don't need to disconnect from the router. But you might want to unplug any external peripherals to avoid any problems during installation. Then add them back one at a time once your computer is setup.

The only drivers you need from Asus will be the WinXP audio and LAN drivers. All the other drivers can be found at the manufacturer's sites.

The motherboard chipset drivers can be found here, VIA Technologies, Inc. You'll want the VIA Hyperion Pro Driver v.5.13A.

that helps a great deal thank you again.

can you explain the motherboard chipset drivers? when i got my computer i did a fresh install of windows xp and i don't recall installing these specific driver set.

I'm assuming my Austek M2V-TVM motherboard uses this VIA chip? Can you tell i'm a noob lol.

If you don't mind running me through what i have to do, i would greatly appreciate it.

1. boot up with xp disc.
2. fresh install of xp.
3. install the VIA Hyperion driver set.
4. install the winxp audio and lan drivers from ASUS.
5. install geforce video card drivers (from NVIDIA).
6. go to microsoft and install all updates.
7. install software for periperials.

I'm just worried about the specific drivers i need to install if i have the right ones.

thanks

Yes, your motherboard uses the VIA K8M890 chipset. In essence, you don't really need to install the VIA drivers as XP installs it's own (older) version of the drivers which work perfectly well. The VIA drivers allow for better performance and control.

Your sequence looks good to me. Here's a site with pics that shows you how to install XP: Steps to Clean Install XP. :D

thanks lowndsey, atomic rooster. I'm gonna print all this out, looks like i got a big day tomorrow lol.

Back
Top Bottom