Recognized Automatically

Your removable drive is a C?

That might be what your problem is. You should assign C and D to your fixed drives. Then you'll be able to plug in an USB device and it will assign a letter.

I read where is is not recommended to change the system disk letter.

But, my other external drives were recognized by the computer without any problems. One was a 1 TB and the other is a 500 GB.

No the main system drive is E:/. I have no idea why but that the drive was assigned when I installed the drive. Look at this photograph below.

Works fine though.

IMG_5813.jpg

Last edited:
Your removable drive is a C?

That might be what your problem is. You should assign C and D to your fixed drives. Then you'll be able to plug in an USB device and it will assign a letter.
True that's weird. I didn't look at the letters. Still, I'm not sure that's the problem. As long as the letter isn't used, Windows should always use the same one to mount it.

Let us know about the information. Maybe a reformat and letter assignment with Diskpart will fix the errors.

Diskpart can assign new letters without reformatting, so if the information is not securely backed up, there may be no need to risk it.

We could start assigning a new letter with Diskpart. If that fails, we can try reformatting.

Did you reboot?

The drive with the OS should be a C:. I think some programs expect to find the main drive as C:

Your DVD drive can be a D: or the next one over if you partition your main drive like C: and D:.

My drives are like this:

Drive one: (Seagate Constellation 1TB)

OS - C:
Storage - D:

Drive two: (Super Writemaster)

DVD Rom - E:

Drive three: (WD Green 500 GIG)

WD DRIVE - F:

Drive four: (Sandisk 32 GIG)

Cache SDD - G:

Last edited:
No did not reboot. I will though. By the way when I disconnect the drive and reconnect. Then choose to view the files within that drive I see this below.

IMG_5814.jpg

Yes I agree. I read where not to change that letter.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

Rebooted computer same results.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Probably should just sign a drive letter using Ex2 when I want to use that hard drive.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

I think you should leave the assignment alone on your main drive. Your installed programs probably will expect to find it there.

Found some help here:

http://ask-leo.com/i_have_no_c_drive_but_some_programs_insist_on_it_what_can_i_do.html

Probably would work. But looks very complicated and tricky to set up.

Ok, man, you have to stop trying to guess solutions. Every time we propose something, you have already done 5 different unrelated things and you only describe 3 of them poorly. Stop using those random tools and applying random solutions. We can't be playing 20 questions all day.

Did you do this already https://m.wikihow.com/Change-a-Drive-Letter-in-Windows-XP ?

If you did, what happens next? Do you get any error messages? What happens when you, for example, create a new file, disconnect and reconnect the drive, ..., Or anything else you can think of? Does this happen on every computer? What happens if you assign a drive letter on another computer and then use it in this computer? Please answer the questions properly or there is no way we can ever find a solution for the problem.

Back
Top Bottom