realy old pc

0v3rc10cl0ck3d

In Runtime
ok i was in my attic and i found this gateway pc its a minitower KAD 750 select i think i opened it up and it has 64mb ram and a amd 750mhz prossescer that looks like no other cpu i have seen before it has nvidia tnt graphics im guessing 32mb and a 40 gig hard drive not sure bout the sound card but this pc works lol i formatd the hdd and put windows xp on it and it runs fine idk what to do with pc though any ideas?

If i where you, i'd install linux (Proberbly ubuntu server editon), Upgrade the RAM, and use it as a web server..

I was just thinking something similar. Turn it into a server of some type for your home. I'm surprised you can even install XP on there. Make it into a personal file and print server, hehe. Should work fine for the household (if the limited hard drive space doesn't run out, lol).

well i have no clue how tro make a server and i had plans for atleast a 80g hdd and it supports 756 mbs of ram i beleive and idk were to get linux i could go iso hunt .com and look but xp runs fine on it i can play some older games like the old deer hunters and stuff on it fine

I find it kinnda strange how it has a 40GB Hard Drive, and a 750MHZ Processor (fine, it's not great...) but only 64MB of ram!

The RAM seem to be where most of the bottleneck are. Definitely pump that sucker up. You'll see a big performance jump from there.

You have to decode the model to find out what it really is. KAD means K for the cpu type and AD for AMD. The older k6 and k7's didn't go very fast or use ram above 66mhz.
Linux box...
As far as the ram if you can find pc66 it most likely won't take more than 128 or 256 depending on the bios.

Back
Top Bottom