Rate This Build..

JClark1

Solid State Member
Hey all,
So this is what I've picked out for a desktop gaming computer build.
I have a monitor (19"), mouse and keyboard so I'm all set in that respect.
My max budget is 1500, but I'd like to stay as close to 1000 as I can; so if there is a part I have that has a cheaper alternative that doesn't sacrifice quality/performance...Lemme know =]

Case
ThermalTake Armor + MX

MoBo
EVGA NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI FTW

CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

RAM
OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB DDR2

DVD/CD drive
Pioneer DVD RW/CD RW

HHD
Western Digital Caviar 320GB 7200RPM

GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 260 896MB

PSU
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W

I am going back and forth on the CPU/MoBo combo.
My Second Choice is Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz and this MoBo MSI X58 Pro LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard.

I'm open to suggestions and helpful hints if there's a better choice or if I forgot soemthing.

P.S. I'll be recording multi-track audio and playing games ranging from the KOTOR games to Crysis and Fallout 3.

--JClark

If you switch to the I7 you would have to change your memory to DDR3 as well but if you can afford it the I7 will be a very nice set up. Im not really familiar with the whole music recording aspect of CPU usuage but im going to say that editing it is probably kinda like video and photo editing but I may be wrong.(Im really not too sure of the type of programs used) but if it is using a similar type of program you would see a great difference with the I7 over the Q6600 in load times and productivity times if that helps at all.

If you have a microcenter near you I would go for the I7 also because they have it for 229 (last I checked) so its really not that big of a price jump from the Q6600 and you will get much better performance out of it. But as you know you will have to get a more expensive MoBo and RAM..

Also you could get away with a smaller PSU as well to cut the cost a little bit.

***Edit now that I look more at your HDD you could also get a much bigger one for the same price and if you are storing alot of the music you record on it I'm sure that HDD isn't gonna take long to fill up...***
Western Digital 640GB
Western Digital 500GB
Seagate Barracuda 640GB
Just to give a few examples.... Click on the Names for the Newegg pages..:D:D:D

If you switch to the I7 you would have to change your memory to DDR3 as well but if you can afford it the I7 will be a very nice set up. Im not really familiar with the whole music recording aspect of CPU usuage but im going to say that editing it is probably kinda like video and photo editing but I may be wrong.(Im really not too sure of the type of programs used) but if it is using a similar type of program you would see a great difference with the I7 over the Q6600 in load times and productivity times if that helps at all.

If you have a micro center near you I would go for the I7 also because they have it for 229 (last I checked) so its really not that big of a price jump from the Q6600 and you will get much better performance out of it. But as you know you will have to get a more expensive MoBo and RAM..

Also you could get away with a smaller PSU as well to cut the cost a little bit.

***Edit now that I look more at your HDD you could also get a much bigger one for the same price and if you are storing alot of the music you record on it I'm sure that HDD isn't gonna take long to fill up...***
Western Digital 640GB
Western Digital 500GB
Seagate Barracuda 640GB
Just to give a few examples.... Click on the Names for the Newegg pages..:D:D:D

I'm not entirely sure how recording software uses the cpu and all that, but I read somewhere (I think it might have been on these forums) that most recording software cant use more than 2 or 3 gigs of ram....and that if your computer is built well for mid- high end gaming you should be fine for recording...but someone correct me if that's wrong.

I am very tempted to go w/ the core i7, because that would improve the longevity of the system since I'd have to get DDR3 RAM as well, but unfortunately the closest Micro Center to me is Boston, which is about 3 hours away.

Anyone else know of cheaper, reliable vendors other than newegg?

Yes that HD prolly will fill fast, and Western Digital 640GB is very worth it for only a little more money.

Thanks for the reply. =]

The Core i7 is a good idea along with the larger drive as you'll find it filling up fast with music files.

The GTX 260 is a good card, but I would recommend going with a core 216 version such as a MSI N260GTX-T2D896-OCv2 GeForce GTX 260 896MB. It performs much better than the standard version and is nearly on par with the GTX 285.

I'm not entirely sure how recording software uses the cpu and all that, but I read somewhere (I think it might have been on these forums) that most recording software cant use more than 2 or 3 gigs of ram....and that if your computer is built well for mid- high end gaming you should be fine for recording...but someone correct me if that's wrong.

I am very tempted to go w/ the core i7, because that would improve the longevity of the system since I'd have to get DDR3 RAM as well, but unfortunately the closest Micro Center to me is Boston, which is about 3 hours away.

Anyone else know of cheaper, reliable vendors other than newegg?

Yes that HD prolly will fill fast, and Western Digital 640GB is very worth it for only a little more money.

Thanks for the reply. =]

I thought microcenter delivered?

I am very tempted to go w/ the core i7, because that would improve the longevity of the system since I'd have to get DDR3 RAM as well, but unfortunately the closest Micro Center to me is Boston, which is about 3 hours away.Thanks for the reply. =]

What part of MA you from I used to Live in Fitchburg which is central MA right outside Worcester...:D:D:D You must be really far west to be 3 hours from Boston tho..:D:D

And apparently Microcenter ships which I didn't know... So you may wanna check there...

I'm actually from northern NH...
I'm in accounting right now, but I'll look on micro center's site for that processor and see how much shipping would be.
Cause I'm moving more towardswantingto get the core i7

My Second Choice is Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz and this MoBo MSI X58 Pro LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard.
That looks pretty good, just remember you'll need DDR3 RAM. Don't look any higher than DDR3 1333, i7 doesn't really need the extra bandwidth so it would just be a waste of money.

Back
Top Bottom