random crashes

foothead

Omnicide now.
Lately I've been having an issue with the HTPC spontaneously crashing, then rebooting for seeming no reason when I am in-game. I was thinking it was a power issue at first, so I replaced the 580 watt PSU with a 700 watt. It only happens in certain games. No BSOD/ software issue as far as I can tell.

specs are:
phenom 9600
ECS A780GM-A mobo
sapphire Radeon HD 4850 x2 2GB
OCZ gameXstream PSU
LG BD-ROM/DVD-RW combo drive
WD 1.5 TB HDD

It used to have some POS 580 watt PSU, and it was crashing all the time, so I put in my old 700 watt GXS and it got somewhat better, but not all the way fixed. I have checked and everything is evenly distributed across all four rails. Is there any way this is a power issue still?

Just checking, have you disabled the automatic restart on system failure option? Otherwise it may well look like you haven't got a BSOD when you actually have...

If you're genuinely not getting an error at all then it could be a number of things - but it's likely it's quite a low level issue. Assuming you've checked temperatures, it's possible there's an issue with your motherboard - don't suppose you can swap it out with another to check?

I had to replace the motherboard in my old server because of a blown Cap near the power supply mosfets. The top of it had split and leaked.

Also check your RAM with +Memtest.

Both of the above made my set up unstable and gave random crashes.

Just checking, have you disabled the automatic restart on system failure option? Otherwise it may well look like you haven't got a BSOD when you actually have...

If you're genuinely not getting an error at all then it could be a number of things - but it's likely it's quite a low level issue. Assuming you've checked temperatures, it's possible there's an issue with your motherboard - don't suppose you can swap it out with another to check?

I have, and it still reboots. It usually makes a weird repeating clicking noise through the audio output as it crashes. Then it dies, reboot, and windows has this annoying box that says
'the system has recovered from a serious error'
Duh.

Anyway it seems to be less frequent when I have it plugged into a UPS (also supporting power issue) but idk the same PSU was able to run my sig rig no problem until I replaced it.

I had to replace the motherboard in my old server because of a blown Cap near the power supply mosfets. The top of it had split and leaked.

Also check your RAM with +Memtest.

Both of the above made my set up unstable and gave random crashes.

Have done this several times and no errors.

can i get help with downloading pigdin skins
Wrong place buddy - start a new thread in the communications section if you want help with that.

I have, and it still reboots. It usually makes a weird repeating clicking noise through the audio output as it crashes. Then it dies, reboot, and windows has this annoying box that says
'the system has recovered from a serious error'
Duh.
Was that after disabling automatic restarts or swapping out the motherboard?
Anyway it seems to be less frequent when I have it plugged into a UPS (also supporting power issue) but idk the same PSU was able to run my sig rig no problem until I replaced it.
I'd be surprised if that did actually make a difference - it may just be psychological. The only reason that it might is if your mains power supply is pretty unstable, which isn't going to be the case if your other PCs run fine from the same supply!

If you haven't already, I'd also try running the rig with the bare minimum plugged in - try the RAM just one stick at a time just in case it is a problem and memtest didn't pick it up (unlikely but not unheard of) and also try swapping out the cables where you can to make sure that there isn't an intermittent short somewhere that's causing the problem. You might also want to try jiggling a few of them around while it's running to see if that makes a difference and identifies any dodgy ones.

Assuming the above doesn't make a difference (and assuming you haven't swapped it out already) I'd guess it's the board. :(

hmmm....

yeah I've tried all that and nothing.
It's pretty intermittent, but I can always count on it happening in L4D for some reason. The darned thing can play crysis just fine 95% of the time, but I have never gotten L4D to last more than 20 minutes.

I don't have any more AM2+ motherboards without dissecting my brother's new computer. :/ Maybe I'll try whatever new PSU I get with it just to be sure it isn't power.

Back
Top Bottom