RAM and SSD upgrade pointless with this system?

stevemys

Beta member
Hello all,

So I am thinking about upgrading my system due to crashes running blender and skyrim creation kit (namely the heightmap editor). Currently I have win 7 32 but upgrading to 64x as we speak. So the hardware:
Processor: Intel e8400 core 2 duo 3.00 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
HDD: Western Digital wd64000aaks 640GB

Soooo...

My motherboard only supports 16GB RAM, I have four slots of 1GB right now, should I buy two 8GB, 4x4GB, etc, or does it even matter?

I was thinking about getting a primary SSD of ~60GB and using my HDD as storage, would I notice any differences in gaming/modeling?

And finally, will upgrading my RAM and my HDD even effect gaming/modeling with such a slow processor and older motherboard?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions about what I should upgrade please do share.

Thanks in advance

Quadrupling the RAM will definitely help. The hard drive not so much. An SSD will help programs load faster, not run faster.

Not entirely accurate. An SSD will help programs load AND run faster because if they have to access the drive, that throughput will be much faster. I've used near-identical computers (only thing that was different was the hard drive / SSD it used) and the SSD system beats the snot out of the hard drive system.

There's also a diminishing return on RAM - 4-8GB is fine, over 8GB unless you do a LOT of rendering work, either with code compilation or video / CAD rendering, will be useless.

thanks for the help to both of you. can i ask, would it hurt anything to get a 1GB,1GB,1GB, then say a 6 GB stick since I already have four 1s and could just replace one of them? These are the four sticks, all identical: Crucial Ballistix 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory.

Thanks

If you're going to upgrade the RAM, take out two of the 1GB modules and replace them with 2GB modules. If you have mismatched modules on a channel, the dual channel functionality wont work so well.

Back
Top Bottom