RAM slot broken?

Frobot

Solid State Member
I was trying to install some new ram but then saw that it didn't fit the slots, after I had tried pushing it in.
So then I put my old ram back in and my computer wouldn't start up. It would turn on and then turn right back off, then on again, then off a 2nd time, and stay off.
I take one of my sticks out and the computer starts up again. So I guess my slot got broken, because any time I try to use the lower one my computer won't start up.
How hard might that be to fix? Or is there anything I could try?

Frobot said:
I was trying to install some new ram but then saw that it didn't fit the slots, after I had tried pushing it in.
So then I put my old ram back in and my computer wouldn't start up. It would turn on and then turn right back off, then on again, then off a 2nd time, and stay off.
I take one of my sticks out and the computer starts up again. So I guess my slot got broken, because any time I try to use the lower one my computer won't start up.
How hard might that be to fix? Or is there anything I could try?

There should be 2 plastic locks on each end of were the memory slot goes did those snap into place once forcing the memory stick in?

Sounds as if you broke one of the metal taps that reads the memory stick.

When I was trying to install the new ram that didn't fit I never did fasten the two locks on the ends because it wouldn't fit into the slot. There is also no noticeable damage anywhere.

Frobot said:
When I was trying to install the new ram that didn't fit I never did fasten the two locks on the ends because it wouldn't fit into the slot. There is also no noticeable damage anywhere.

So no black marks on the ram stick on the prongs? Or in the slot it's self?
Did you have the power supply plugged into outlet or did u unplug it before you attempted this?
Did you try to turn the tower on even though the ram stick didn't fit all the way?
You might have fried one of the prongs I have seen this done before people try to replace the memory with out unplugging the unit therefor shorts the slot and ram stick.

Damage to the slot will need a new motherboard 99% of the time.

on a related note, attempting to 'fix' anything that is hard-soldered to a motherboard is a pain in the gonads and probably fairly pricey. Much easier just to replace the board.

~Darkseeker~ said:
Damage to the slot will need a new motherboard 99% of the time.

on a related note, attempting to 'fix' anything that is hard-soldered to a motherboard is a pain in the gonads and probably fairly pricey. Much easier just to replace the board.

The only thing worth soldering is a capacitor on a Samsung flat screen monitor were they shipped out a bad batch back 7 years ago.
But your right it's easier just replacing
Mother board the op still has one that works can just get a higher mb stick.

Back
Top Bottom