RAM questions

sorry for stealing this thread and asking questions but...
do you need to have an good aftermarket HSF to make it go up to 400?

I've never OC'ed myself. However I would assume raising FSB will raise temperatures a little more than just changing the multiplier, but that's just my hypothesis. You need a good aftermarket cooler to get a good OC anyways, so to answer your questions I will go ahead and say yes.

Hey, thanks for all of your help. So, how would I be able to increase the speed to 800mhz on a Intel Q6600 processor running on an Asus P5QL motherboard.

The stock FSB is 333MHz, allows for 667MHz RAM. To achieve a FSB high enough for 800MHz RAM you need 400MHz on it. So what you will have to do is go into the BIOS and look for an option to overclock the FSB (increase frequency). If you want to keep the overall clock at 2.4GHz you will have to decrease the multiplier. I'm not sure if reducing the multiplier and increase the FSB will keep the same temperature, so keep an eye on it. But if you want to go ahead and overclock the overall clock, just increase the FSB to 400MHz and lower the multiplier to 6 (2.4GHz total) . Then watch temps under load. If they're nice, increase the multiplier to 6.5 (2.6GHz total). Check temps under load. Lastly, if you want to keep going, do the same for 7 and 7.5, however I doubt you will go any higher.

I've overclocked the cpu to 3.0ghz on air cooling. Temperatures weren't a problem at all. My case remains cool as 24-29C at all times. Soon as I purchase a 3rd party heatsink and fan. I MIGHT try to go to 3.2ghz. Let's say, I overclock the cpu to 3.0ghz. Then what would I have to do with the multipliers?

for 3.2 with a Q6600 use 400*8

You'll probably have to raise the vcore (if you set it manually to start with)

You really shouldn't leave the vcore on auto

EDIT: My P35 board is set to 1.25v for 3.2GHz.

You got it to 3 Ghz, did you stable test it? If not, get Prime95 or Orthos and let that run for I would say at least 5 hours and see if it throws any errors.

I only tried overclocking once using AI Suite. I ran it for about 4 hours playing games and watching movies. No hangups or crashes, what-so-ever.

Back
Top Bottom