RAM question

dano4600

Solid State Member
ok i am building a new computer and have come across this

"Due to AMD CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+ CPU for one DIMM per channel only." ( although i no longer see this on my motherboard)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131339

i've looked around and am still not sure what that means exactily, i will be getting 8gigs of ram, since i will be using this for video work.

if i understand it correctly it means that i can not use 4 sticks of 2gig 1066 ram, at least can't run it at 1066.

so is there a noticeable diffrence between 800 and 1066 ram

You the RAM can be any amount of gigs as long as it doesn't go over 1066...this is only with AMD processors though...

i dont know anything about the AM2+ CPUs.
but from the benchmarks and from what i read, the 800mhz and the 1066mhz difference isnt that great

Meh, some Intel boards also say they only support up to a certain memory speed. Just OVERCLOCK :p

"Due to AMD CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+ CPU for one DIMM per channel only."
Where does it say that?

The listed specs say:

CPU Socket Type ..... AM2+/AM2
CPU Type ............... Phenom FX / Phenom / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 X2

Memory Standard ................ DDR2 1066
Maximum Memory Supported .. 16GB
Dual Channel Supported ........ Yes

:confused:

Where does it say that?

The listed specs say:

CPU Socket Type ..... AM2+/AM2
CPU Type ............... Phenom FX / Phenom / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 X2

Memory Standard ................ DDR2 1066
Maximum Memory Supported .. 16GB
Dual Channel Supported ........ Yes

:confused:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=789&l4=0&model=2503&modelmenu=2

it says it on thier website, it used to say it on neweggs, but is no longer there for that motherboard, but is for some of the other one's

"Due to AMD CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+ CPU for one DIMM per channel only."

What that means is that if you want to run DDR2 1066, you can only use two sticks of memory, one on each channel. Such as putting 2x 2GB sticks only in the yellow slots. But as others have said, the performance difference between DDR2 800 and DDR2 1066 isn't really that great and you could always overclock the system to run them at DDR2 1066 speed.

Just get DDR2 800. I doubt you'll be running an FSB higher than 400, and if you are, just overclock your RAM, as worshipme said.

Back
Top Bottom