RAM problems

my usial computer is not the best but is ok its a DELL 2400 its got 2GB RAM 67GB HD INTEL pentium 4 2.78GHZ forgot Graphics Card but its only 64MB

My model of the gateway is GW2K-HAMPTON

Meomory i want to install is Kingston KTC66/128MB and Samsung PC100-322-620

thats all that it said on it

Yes 3 sticks of PC100

Maybe Windows 98 can't handle the amount of ram you have. Try updating to xp and see if that fixes ur problem. If it doesn't its still worth the money!

Jarl would you please get a friggen CLUE.... You really need to friggen stop telling everyone to buy stuff before you even have a clue what is going on. people do not need to buy something every time something is wrong. Every post where someone has a problem you tell them to buy a newer version of something. THAT IS NOT A SOLUTION FOR EVERYONE.... Just because he has an older version of windows doesn't mean that the problem is because it is old.. He may have incompatible memory for the board, bad sticks of memory, trying to use more than the motherboard can handle, memory with too high of mhz... There is many other reasons why it isn't working that have nothing to do with the operating system... PLEASE STOP POSTING IF YOU DON"T KNOW AN ANSWER!!!!!!

@ OP I am sorry for Hijacking your thread but could you elaborate more on your PC model and the size of your memory. It may be a few things but we would need a little more information about the systems specs to answer your question.

***Edit sorry was posting when you put up the specs...:(***

ya but i install one and the computer freezes when it starts windows 98 and when i remove one it said decrease in memory

What I'm thinking is that you are installing more memory then that old system can handle. I believe the maximum amount that motherboard can handle is 384MB using a maximum size stick of 128MB.

No, you said:
Maybe Windows 98 can't handle the amount of ram you have.
The total amount of memory that can be run on that motherboard is a hardware limitation, not a software limitation.

W98 can handle up to 2GB of RAM, but really, anything over 512MB is overkill.

Jarl would you please get a friggen CLUE.... You really need to friggen stop telling everyone to buy stuff before you even have a clue what is going on. people do not need to buy something every time something is wrong. Every post where someone has a problem you tell them to buy a newer version of something. THAT IS NOT A SOLUTION FOR EVERYONE.... Just because he has an older version of windows doesn't mean that the problem is because it is old.. He may have incompatible memory for the board, bad sticks of memory, trying to use more than the motherboard can handle, memory with too high of mhz... There is many other reasons why it isn't working that have nothing to do with the operating system... PLEASE STOP POSTING IF YOU DON"T KNOW AN ANSWER!!!!!!

@ OP I am sorry for Hijacking your thread but could you elaborate more on your PC model and the size of your memory. It may be a few things but we would need a little more information about the systems specs to answer your question.

***Edit sorry was posting when you put up the specs...:(***

Hey how about you back off? I was giving some good info. I said his computer might not be able to handle the ram and I think I am right. Also I looked it up and Windows 98 can not handle more than 400 mb of memory. So instead of insulting me when YOU don't know anything how about YOU post something that isn't insulting.

No, you said:

The total amount of memory that can be run on that motherboard is a hardware limitation, not a software limitation. W98 can handle up to 2GB of RAM.

I meant both so I will edit sorry.

Maybe Windows 98 can't handle the amount of ram you have. Try updating to xp and see if that fixes ur problem. If it doesn't its still worth the money!

Oh thank god! And I thought my computer sucked. Tell us its specs please.

You seriously need to update to Windows XP!!

Hey how about you back off? I was giving some good info. I said his computer might not be able to handle the ram and I think I am right. Also I looked it up and Windows 98 can not handle more than 400 mb of memory. So instead of insulting me when YOU don't know anything how about YOU post something that isn't insulting.

LMAO... Are you serious? where is the helpful information there? And I am glad that you looked up that windows 98 and found that it can't handle any more than 400mb of memory because it appears that windows 98 can handle up to 2 gb's of ram but the limitation is with his motherboard which can only handle 384mbs... I will back off as soon as you start giving either relevant information, good advice, stop pushing new products on people who DON'T need them, or leave the forum... Any of the above will do... Honestly I would rather you not leave the forum but stick around and learn a few things and get an actual knowledge base on some things before you start telling people that they need to buy new things or upgrade stuff. And @ your comment about me not knowing anything read my post before you comment because it clearly gives a list of actual things that may be wrong here and 1 of them just happens to be the correct one...HMMMM thats weird cuz I didn't see a correct answer in any of your crap my friend..:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom