RAM compatibility

CFu

Baseband Member
I have the ASUS N56V-B laptop with the following configuration:

ram.png

and I was wondering if I could put the following RAM sticks in it without causing problems:
Vengeance® — 16GB High Performance Laptop Memory Upgrade Kit (CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10)

By the way, is that new RAM faster/better than my current RAM? My retailer's website says I have to set the speed to 1600 MHz in the BIOS, but I don't know if this will hurt the durability (heat) of my laptop overtime.

Last edited:
Yes you can, Your laptop supports up to 16GB Notebooks & Ultrabooks - N56VB - ASUS, So you should have no troubles..
I was just concerned with the type of RAM, timings, speed and so forth. Wrong timings provide bluescreens and so on. Last time I went to a computer store for a RAM installation, the technicians told me a particular type of RAM was not suited for my desktop PC (of course, that's not for my laptop).

It should work just fine.
It's a LITTLE faster yes. Mostly due to the lower latency of 10 instead of 11.
The mhz is the same.

I know on some stationary computers you have to set the correct speed in the bios when you change RAM.
Not sure if you need to do or CAN do that on a laptop. Usually clock settings (not watch clock, but clock cycles) are locked on laptops.

Why do you want to have 16 gig of RAM?
your current laptop has 6, which is still goo enough for most. most people (even gamers and enthusiast) don't need more than 8.
SO get a 2x4 kit instead and save some money

It should work just fine.
It's a LITTLE faster yes. Mostly due to the lower latency of 10 instead of 11.
The mhz is the same.

I know on some stationary computers you have to set the correct speed in the bios when you change RAM.
Not sure if you need to do or CAN do that on a laptop. Usually clock settings (not watch clock, but clock cycles) are locked on laptops.

Why do you want to have 16 gig of RAM?
your current laptop has 6, which is still goo enough for most. most people (even gamers and enthusiast) don't need more than 8.
SO get a 2x4 kit instead and save some money
This is a production laptop.
I am an ICT developer student and for my university classes I need:
- 2 GB of RAM for my Navision Virtual Image (it's the minimum amount required by the professor)
- Chrome uses around 1.2 GB on average (I have a lot of tabs open about software development, API references and so forth)
- memory for running my web applications that I'm developing (the frameworks are not light)

In fact, there's a tech sheet on my campus stating students for my major need a minimum of 8 GB RAM on their machines for development purposes.

This is a high production laptop (I don't use it for gaming but I use it for my classes) and things have to go fast during classes because the tempo is fast as well and I am thinking of making the RAM upgrade move because 6 GB of RAM this year just hasn't been cutting the mustard for me. I found myself often having to close Chrome and some other basic applications such as Microsoft Outlook/Onenote (which I needed) just so I could run my Navision and my web applications. Even if Navision isn't on, because of the high memory load I often find my laptop degrading in performance quickly over time (memory hogs: NetBeans (1GB of RAM), Microsoft Visual Studio Team Architect, Skype (to conference about development), teamviewer, etc.).

I am tired of watching my laptop consume so much disk and it is not really helping performance. I still have not found the time to figure out why Windows 8.1 does this, so I temporarily changed my virtual memory setting from 4 GB to 600 MB in the hope it would access the disk less frequently, but I haven't had the time to study the new architecture of Windows 8.x in how it handles memory mapping). In any case, I find myself reaching the 5 GB RAM mark every day and my laptop cripples at that load of RAM, so I would like to have more breathing space by adding at least 2 GB more.

I have very little time, so I don't want to be bothered with these production issues. Putting in more RAM would certainly give me some breathing room.

P.S.: after writing this post, my laptop crashed Chrome and auto-closed it because of memory overload. Wonderful.

Last edited:
Ah yes running virtual machines you'll want a lot power under the hood. Just a tip to save some ram, Go to control panel > system/system & security > system > advanced system settings and under the performance tab click settings and choose the adjust for best performance option, I've done this on all my systems and its saves a lot of ram, All it really does is turn off the aero features which I don't care about..

iRPp4ko.jpg

How do you monitor your Asus laptop services? I recently came across IPHost Monitor tool which provides great system and services monitoring.

Back
Top Bottom