Ram

cbtech73

Solid State Member
Hey everyone it me again. i just bought 1g of ram for my DELL 4600. how do i install it so i dont mess it up and my compture thanks for your help

Well, hopefully you bought DELL RAM since nothing else tends to work. My advice if you don't know what you are doing is call Dell and have them walk you through it so you don't void your warranty. Or visit premiersupport.dell.com and see if you can find specific help for your computer model (Dell 4600 is very vague, since there's many different computer systems they put out)

Architecture
Dual Channel DDR SDRAM

Memory connectors
Four

Memory capacities
128-, 256-, 512-MB or 1-GB

Minimum memory
128-MB DDR SDRAM

NOTE: Between 32 and 64 MB of system memory may be allocated to support graphics, depending on system memory size and other factors.

Maximum memory
4 GB

Memory type
PC2700 (333-MHz) or PC3200 (400-MHz) DDR SDRAM
(non-ECC)

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/specs.htm#1105699

The old dimms are simply held in by retaining clips at the ends of each dimm slot. You simply press down on those just enough to see one end of the dimm itself start to come up in the slot and grab it by the top edge avoiding the contacts while having your arm resting against the case to prevent any possible esd problem.

With the new dimms you have to handle them in the same fashion in reverse by first seeing yourself grounded to the case in the same manner evenly inserting each new dimm down firmly until the retainers click into place. Verify those have done that before closing the case up and powering on the system. If no damage or defects with the new memory are seen you shouldn't hear any odd beep code.

That's when you click the "back to contents page" and then the link for replacing parts>memory. :D

It wasn't until after posting the first support link there that I was able to see how they lead you around by the nose looking for the page with the illustrations since there wasn't anything seen for that in the manuals you could download. You know the way Dell is for providing any real help there. :rolleyes:

"oh no another Dellmare! :eek: " :p

At least now we can that everything is covered including the illustrations from that page. :p

"huh?" :eek: "now how did they get shrunk llike that?" :confused: :p

thanks all. i got the new ram in and done did a full reinstall of xp and so far the computer is working good. now i have 2g of ram. i dont know how much more i can put in it. so far its work good with 2g of ram thanks for all your help. im new at this. but learning as i go

Back
Top Bottom